I love dogs, but what would you have done?

-

Thrashard340

Reaction score
So I'm sitting in my living room watching the game on Sunday. Then I hear the sound of leaves rustling in the front yard. I live in a typical suburb. Houses are next to each other. Property not too big. Sidewalk runs across the front of the property. I go outside and I see a guy standing out on the sidewalk but he's letting his dog explore my yard where it meets the neighbor's yard. He's on my side of the property where there are a row of bushes. He has the dog on the leash, but the dog is at least 10' into my yard sniffing around and pushing through the bushes. I'm thinking to myself "WTF?"

I love dogs. I really do. But I would think there would be some common courtesy involved when walking your dog and NOT allowing them to explore a stranger's yard without permission. Here's what also ticked me off.

I ask him nicely "excuse me, can I help you with something?" He looks up at me like nothing is wrong and points at the dog and mumbles something like "he's gotta go" or "he's doing his thing" or something of that nature. At that point, I was pissed. I said "not on my yard". He then gets embarrassed and walks off and I proceed to tell him to "please control your dog, thank you". I used "please" and "thank you", but wasn't exactly nice about it. I was already aggravated by his ignorance. He had nothing to say in return. No apology, no nothing. Now if the dog was on the sidewalk, walks by and lifts a leg and p1sses on my tree, I have no problem with that. You can't really control that. But this guy let his dog lead him into my yard and the owner thought that it was OK.

What's the expectation here? I know that many of you are dog owners. What would you guys do?

I do not let my dog go 10' into someones yard
a foot or two from the sidewalk is fair game though
if you clean it up
have you considered a fence?

I don't allow my dog to run up on other people's lawns. He gets to run/walk on the easement between the sidewalk and the street. I do clean up after him.

I think you handled it properly enough to get cooperation from the guy from now on.

Just get some critter ridder and sprinkle it around your yard and watch the fun.

So I'm sitting in my living room watching the game on Sunday. Then I hear the sound of leaves rustling in the front yard. I live in a typical suburb. Houses are next to each other. Property not too big. Sidewalk runs across the front of the property. I go outside and I see a guy standing out on the sidewalk but he's letting his dog explore my yard where it meets the neighbor's yard. He's on my side of the property where there are a row of bushes. He has the dog on the leash, but the dog is at least 10' into my yard sniffing around and pushing through the bushes. I'm thinking to myself "WTF?"

I love dogs. I really do. But I would think there would be some common courtesy involved when walking your dog and NOT allowing them to explore a stranger's yard without permission. Here's what also ticked me off.

I ask him nicely "excuse me, can I help you with something?" He looks up at me like nothing is wrong and points at the dog and mumbles something like "he's gotta go" or "he's doing his thing" or something of that nature. At that point, I was pissed. I said "not on my yard". He then gets embarrassed and walks off and I proceed to tell him to "please control your dog, thank you". I used "please" and "thank you", but wasn't exactly nice about it. I was already aggravated by his ignorance. He had nothing to say in return. No apology, no nothing. Now if the dog was on the sidewalk, walks by and lifts a leg and p1sses on my tree, I have no problem with that. You can't really control that. But this guy let his dog lead him into my yard and the owner thought that it was OK.

What's the expectation here? I know that many of you are dog owners. What would you guys do?

Dog owner should know better.
You should have made sure he had a plastic bag to pick up after his dog. By no means should have been 10' into yard.

I would have rubbed his nose in it and then cleaned the dogs butt off, on the owners face! LOL!! (little humor only, do not try this at home)

Get pictures or video next time. Then stalk to find out his address. Then talk to animal control officer.

I have been known in my hood to pick it up with shovel, follow owner home then sling it onto their front door and then leave without saying a word. Everyone here thinks I'm nuts but they walk their dogs past my house really fast now!!

Good Luck!
John:D

Shoulda ran up and kicked him as hard as you could.

Not the innocent dog,,,,,The GUY!!! :)
I swear, common sence must be dead.

Sorry, but I just got home and as I was coming home some guy in a brand new Challenger start drifting over into my lane so I start blasting the horn, and he doesn't stop.
He wasn't changing lanes because we were right next to each other doing about 35 in heavy traffic, and when he got about 1 foot from me I was almost rubbing the curb with the right front tire.
He was texting on his freakin cell phone.
Light turns green and my little 318/904 leaps out in the intersection, and as I looked back he was still sitting there stopped looking down at his phone completely ignorant of the green light.

Ahole texters.

Sorry, but I just got home and as I was coming home some guy in a brand new Challenger start drifting over into my lane so I start blasting the horn, and he doesn't stop.
He wasn't changing lanes because we were right next to each other doing about 35 in heavy traffic, and when he got about 1 foot from me I was almost rubbing the curb with the right front tire.
He was texting on his freakin cell phone.
Light turns green and my little 318/904 leaps out in the intersection, and as I looked back he was still sitting there stopped looking down at his phone completely ignorant of the green light.

Ahole texters.

I feel your pain on this. California enacted a handsfree law over two years ago and to this day, I still see unattentive drivers with the phone pinned to their ears. I get caught behind the guy or gal going 30 in a 35 in the left lane and when I pass them on the right, sure enough...phone pinned to their ear. This happens A LOT.

Dog owner should know better.
You should have made sure he had a plastic bag to pick up after his dog. By no means should have been 10' into yard.

I would have rubbed his nose in it and then cleaned the dogs butt off, on the owners face! LOL!! (little humor only, do not try this at home)

Get pictures or video next time. Then stalk to find out his address. Then talk to animal control officer.

I have been known in my hood to pick it up with shovel, follow owner home then sling it onto their front door and then leave without saying a word. Everyone here thinks I'm nuts but they walk their dogs past my house really fast now!!

Good Luck!
John:D

Thanks John. I guess I should clarify, the dog didn't take a dump in my yard, but if he did the owner would not have been prepared to pick it up. The dog p1ssed on my bushes.

I have in the past seen courteous neighbors who have picked up after their dogs after they srop a stool on the edge of my lawn next to the sidewalk. But these dogs aren't roaming into the yard.

no cell phone while driving law here also,
they just ignore it along with any other safe driving practice you can think of

I would not be concerned about the dog taking a wiz in the yard
now if it was the owner........................................

Just get some critter ridder and sprinkle it around your yard and watch the fun.

Actually, chili pepper works quite well. But I do not want to punish the dog since it is the owner enabling the poor behavior. Also, I would not want to penalize the good neighbors who actually know how to handle and care for their pets because one bad neighbor doesn't know the etiquette.

Well I guess its really according where you live. I have good neighbors all around and we never get on each others nerves on anything that I know of. I don't think the bushes is "so" important that I would have had a duck about it. At least the owner wasn't letting him go right there on the green grass. Might need to lighten up a little. No offense meant.

Had my new neighbor come walking up in my yard with his small dog on a leash. We greet one another and start talking like normal people do. Next thing we know the dog takes a dump while we're standing there talking ....in my yard..... while I'm standing there. The owner (Jim) turns about three different colors and says "I'm sorry about that.... I will go get my shovel!" I told him "Don't worry.... it's just dog **** man!"

My dog don't like to walk far from home she wizzes on others property close to the street but if and whenever she craps i or wifey clean it up as soon as we put her in the house.Most of our neibors don't clean up after their pets [it's in their yard] so i don't care except when the wind blows our direction,as for the cats they crap all over, my garden smells like a litter box [same folks own them] i have said something about cats to them with little results i called amimal control they never came out.I have just given up on the whole thing some folks have thick skulls.

As a dog owner AND a victim of irresponsible dog owners,I gotta say this guy deserved worse than he got.

I've seen little old ladies wait patiently at the end of my driveway while thier "little darling" ***** in my yard.

There are no bad dogs. Only bad owners.

What that guy did was wrong, the dog didn't know any better. You handled it better than I would've and I never let my dogs crap in someone elses yard.

What is cridder ridder.
Sombody is letting their dog take a dump every day about 3' from my garage door.
It is not a small dog, please enlighten me.

I got tired of a neighbor up the street letting there dog crap everywhere so I picked it up one morning out of my yard and dumped it on their front porch....they called the cops...I got a ticket....go figure. The cop said that even if I had a video they couldn't do anything, they would have to see the dog doing his business themselves!

actually guys to tell you the truth... i have 4 dogs... and my back yard is like a mine field .... to set the record on which one is "okay" or "better" on your property....

when dogs urinate on grass.. it turns it yellow... enough times and you get a bold spot...
when a dog defecates on grass... you can always leave it there bec it cannot do anything but fertilize the grass... NOT saying to leave it there tho for obvious reasons.

NOW here with in lies the problem... its more convenient to have them urinate there.... this will not affect grass right away unless owner takes it to that same spot everyday... then it will turn yellow fast...
i would def not follow the guy tho and call animal control... i am the "old school" type and will take care of the problem myself... (Use the shovel... sling technique)
but... hey what do i know i dont live in the subs... i have concrete for a front lawn and a little patch of grass in the back for the dogs...

i tho AM a responsible dog owner when i walk them its no more then an arms length in someone else property. and i ALWAYS carry extra bags...

-
Back