-
Status
Not open for further replies.

wh23g3g

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I'm looking for a 65 170 Slant Six carb stud for the deep air cleaner. The one I have is too short. I have the correct air cleaner for a 65 170. I'm also looking for a 22" radiator for the 65 4-door Valiants automatic. The one I got is a 19" from a 64 Dart 2 door 225. I guess the 4-doors had the bigger radiator. I can swap radiators if you need.

I'm looking for a 65 170 Slant Six carb stud for the deep air cleaner. The one I have is too short. I have the correct air cleaner for a 65 170. I'm also looking for a 22" radiator for the 65 4-door Valiants automatic. The one I got is a 19" from a 64 Dart 2 door 225. I guess the 4-doors had the bigger radiator. I can swap radiators if you need.

I may be wrong on this, but all slant 6 65's whether 2 doors or 4 doors came with a 19 inch radiator. Some V8s had them as well but most V8s came with 22 inchers. The 19" one you got from a 64 Dart would be correct. If you move the upper and lower hose nipples to the correct locations, you can use a 22" radiator with a slant.

I do need a 22" radiator. The one I got from the 64 Dart 225 was a 19". I assumed the difference was because the 64 Dart was a 2 door and my 65 Valiant is a 4 door. I measured my core on my 65 Valiant and it is 22" the 19" will bolt to one side and even the hoses will connect but there is a big gap between the other side because it's not wide enough. Mine was originally a 225 now has a 170 and I'm not sure if this is correct but it may have had A/C originally added from the dealer. Because there are two heater hose size holes next to the regular heater hose holes in the firewall which I didn't have anything going to. Although there were no other signs that it had A/C added, nothing hooked up under the dash, and no signs of a separate evaporator core hooked up under the dash. But it definitely needs a 22" radiator to fit properly. I think I can get a new aftermarket one from the parts stores for a later A-body because they measure 22" because I've seen a few guys running them in early A-bodies. But they are expensive $180. I also notice there is a 7 blade fan on my 170 which I thought was put on engines with A/C.

I do need a 22" radiator. The one I got from the 64 Dart 225 was a 19". I assumed the difference was because the 64 Dart was a 2 door and my 65 Valiant is a 4 door. I measured my core on my 65 Valiant and it is 22" the 19" will bolt to one side and even the hoses will connect but there is a big gap between the other side because it's not wide enough. Mine was originally a 225 now has a 170 and I'm not sure if this is correct but it may have had A/C originally added from the dealer. Because there are two heater hose size holes next to the regular heater hose holes in the firewall which I didn't have anything going to. Although there were no other signs that it had A/C added, nothing hooked up under the dash, and no signs of a separate evaporator core hooked up under the dash. But it definitely needs a 22" radiator to fit properly. I think I can get a new aftermarket one from the parts stores for a later A-body because they measure 22" because I've seen a few guys running them in early A-bodies. But they are expensive $180. I also notice there is a 7 blade fan on my 170 which I thought was put on engines with A/C.

On the 64 A Bodies they used only the 19 inch radiator. So the the radiator opening was only large enough for that radiator. In 65 22 inch radiators were used on V8s which required a larger opening. Slants still got the smaller radiator (even with AC) but with a larger bracket on one side so that the radiator would fit the opening. A 19 incher with the proper brackets works just fine, but like yourself, I'd rather have the larger radiator even with a slant. The extra holes in the firewall and 7 blade fan is an indication that it might have had an underdash AC unit added. Also check in the tunnel area for drain holes. Unless you can go back through previous owners for the history, who knows what has been done to a 44 year old car in the past.

I think I finally saw what you were talking about today. I came up on a 64 or 65 Valiant in my local junkyard and it had a radiator in it that was 22" but the core was only 19". It was a factory A/C car. It had the A/C buttons instead of just the heater controls. I should've taken the A/C box, condenser, lines. But the compressor, vents, and brackets were missing. The bracket made it 22". Luckily the bracket had separated from the tank of the radiator so I just took the bracket I needed. Hopefully now I can figure out how to get the other one of my radiator without tearing up the radiator. However, there was no air cleaner stud, there was an air cleaner but no stud. Those Holley 1920's seem like the first thing to go. I don't know why, they weren't known for power.

It was a factory A/C car. It had the A/C buttons instead of just the heater controls. I should've taken the A/C box, condenser, lines. But the compressor, vents, and brackets were missing. The bracket made it 22".

Since it was a factory AC car it might have had a factory fan shroud for the radiator. If it did, you need to grab it and use it or could sell it. Any fan shroud for an early A is always in demand..

Luckily the bracket had separated from the tank of the radiator so I just took the bracket I needed. Hopefully now I can figure out how to get the other one of my radiator without tearing up the radiator.

Use a propane torch and run the flame over the bracket where it's attached to the tank. Should come right off with a little heat.

However, there was no air cleaner stud, there was an air cleaner but no stud. Those Holley 1920's seem like the first thing to go. I don't know why, they weren't known for power.

I have a pair of them but plan on using them on an Offy dual single manifold. Did you check over at slantsix.org for the stud?

Yeah I checked there. They didn't have one. I can find plenty of the later year Slant Six studs with the thin air cleaners. I just cannot find one for the earlier setups. I even tried the OEM part number and no one has one on the shelf still. Every early Slant Six I've seen in the various junkyards around here has always been missing the carb and the stud. I just restored my air cleaner and every bolt on piece under the hood except I can't bolt down my air cleaner lid because the stud is too short. If I could find a shorter air filter it might work. I may get everything done and not have an air cleaner stud so I won't be able to drive it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back