I need a bigger radiator....

-

Slade Dean

Reaction score
I put a 360sb in my dart.But i still have the 18inch radiator.I dont want to chop into the car.I know theres brackets for a bigger one.Just wandering if anybody has bought one...preferably an aluminum one.I see jegs has universal ones but,i dont think they will line up...Any info will help...Thanks

Hey Slade Dean, I'm running an 18" MP rad on my Demon and after some arranging it has no problem keeping a 383 on steroids cool. Start out with a 3 core rad, 7 blade fan, shroud, if required a high volume water pump.

If you looking at a new rad I've heard good things about these guys http://www.usradiator.com/default.htm

Terry

Demon where did you get the 7 blade fan? Will if fit the viscous fan clutch?

As long as I am moving my car is great but idleing in traffic on a hot day the temp will climb a bit. Hvae the 7 blade water pump, 180deg Mr. Gasket t-stat and water wetter the stock rad was cleaned and checked as well.

I bought a nice crossflow aluminum radiator from SpeedwayMotors.com for under $200. No problem keeping the 340 cool even idling in traffic. Had to fab up some mounts for it but it fit just fine. (I can get measurements if you want them.)

Interesting topic. I'm considering my options right now too.

Very early in my project I decided to go with a copper radiator from US Radiator. The only 22" they had for Big Blocks was one intended for '67-'69Darts. It's three row with a 2" thick core (#35455). They're made to order and it takes several weeks. The first one they sent was not what I ordered (probably someone elses) so I had to send it back and wait a few more weeks. Not a big deal, only because I wasn't in a hurry. Photo below.

With a 440 it's marginal for cooling. With clutch fan/shroud or big electric and hi-flo stat the results are about the same. With a 383 it might be fine. And with a 360, probably more than adequate - maybe even without a shroud. Would bolt right in Slades Dart, though, I don't know if the in/out's are on the correct side. Course, US Radiator sells units intended for SB's too and I think they were under $300.

Though they're relatively inexpensive I've decided against trying a universal crossflow for a few reasons - mostly preference. Even the "direct fit" crossflow units available cut into space currently occupied by other things on the 22" core support. So, I'm looking at aluminum (true) bolt-ins from either Wizard Cooling or Smiths Radiator.

radiatorimg.jpg

-
Back