I need a door jamb measurement

-

Demonic

Reaction score
I am putting in passemger side doorjamb in my Demon. I need an accurate measurement of the pinchweld where the inside top of the jamb meets the interior panel, at the 45 deg curve, to the drivers side. From the top corner, to the same point on the opposite side. Center to center, I need to know how far apart it is to the drivers side. Locating the bottom is good with the rocker and sill, but there's too much play at the top. Any help is appreciated.
Demon Jamb top.jpg

Each car is going to be slightly different . You really need to screw and mock up the parts and stick the door on to verify. These cars built a bit sloppy.

On my '74 Duster it's 56 3/8", right on the mark. Should be the same for a Demon, at least within whatever the body tolerances were.

IMG_3985.JPG

On my '74 Duster it's 56 3/8", right on the mark. Should be the same for a Demon, at least within whatever the body tolerances were.

View attachment 1715038878
Thank you. I was admiring your fleet in another thread, btw. :) That's exactly the measurement I need to get in the ballpark!

Yes, I will definitely hang the door before I finish weld the jamb in. I know the factory tolerances are well over 1/4".

Could you find a point at the bottom of the opposite jamb and measure diagonally? I would think both sides would have the same diagonal measurement from the top of the jamb to the bottom of the jamb on the opposite side of the car.

Are your doors on the car?

No the door are off. I will mock it up and check the gasket contact area, since that's mostly what happened there. The car was hit on the passengers side, hence the door jamb replacement. The diagonal measurement is an excellent idea, but I have to take it with a grain of salt, there was some spot welds that broke on that vertical panel, above where the floor welds to the rocker/sill. Just a bit too much distortion. Anyone with a car disassembled and the pinch weld exposed like 72 bluNblu - I'd love to hear from you.

Last edited:
body shops n resto shops use the parts given to match fit and tick in , before weld up . new or used parts for the repair .

With the car being hit I'm sure you know to check the alignment of the frame and everything else too. It sounds like you've got the right idea, you'll want to tack weld the stuff you're fixing/replacing where you think it should be and then test fit all the body parts before you do the finish welding. The diagonal is a good idea, I should be able to pull one from my car and give the reference points. Anytime you can triangulate a few different points it improves the accuracy of the location. My car is actually fully assembled, but, most of the plastic interior panels on my car have the corners broken out of them so the pinch weld isn't covered. Pretty typical of the later cars.

If you don't have this from a factory manual it lists a bunch of the factory chassis measurements. It says Barracuda but they'd all be the same for any of the 108" wheelbase cars, which your Demon is as well. The diagonal across the bottom (59.9") sounds like a good one to check, that will tell you if the spring mount (and rocker) are in the right place. Of course all the diagonals would be good to check.
Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 12.45.01 PM.png

Ok, I measured the diagonal. I came up with 60 5/8" running both directions. I measured from the top corner as before, and down to the pinch weld above the rocker on the opposite side. There's a notch in the inner sheet metal right in the middle of the curve from the rocker to the pinch weld, shown with the arrow. I put the tap measure on the outside of the pinch weld there and measured across to the top corner.

IMG_3992.JPG

IMG_3994.JPG

IMG_3993.JPG

Ok, I measured the diagonal. I came up with 60 5/8" running both directions. I measured from the top corner as before, and down to the pinch weld above the rocker on the opposite side. There's a notch in the inner sheet metal right in the middle of the curve from the rocker to the pinch weld, shown with the arrow.

Thanks again. I owe you a beer if you're ever in Maryland. :D Yes, the notch is handy for reference, I've been using it myself.
You could likely rebuild that interior panel in fiberglass or use the lego and acetone trick, which takes a bit longer. An Error Has Occurred!

No problem, happy to help!

I'm converting my car over to the earlier metal panels, so, I'm not to worried about the plastic ones. :D

-
Back