I need a manual transmission guy around Seattle

-

Boneswell

Reaction score
I don't want to start a hate fueled rant about anyone until I have this figured out. Here's the story so far.

I purchased a 65 Barracuda from my brother before he passed away this last December. Btw he was a member here called R3dplanet. He had purchased a transmission from Passon sometime back and unfortunately he died before it showed up. I want to point out that Jamie was wonderful to work with on getting the transmission delivered to me instead of to my brother.

I think this thing might have some problems. It won't shift into first or second. I pulled the side cover off and detents were trash PLUS the synchro is completely frozen up. 3/4 wiggled around fine but 1/2 is locked. I swapped over another known working side cover and it didn't help. I have another overdrive laying here and it shifts nice and everything moves freely. This thing does none of that. And for the inquiring minds, I dumped oil in it before I started messing around with it.

Point is, I'm not sending this thing back to wherever I came from. I'm just going to find somebody smarter than me that wants to take a look. Any suggestions? Is there a member around Seattle or a good shop? Not looking for a freebie. I'm not completely clueless and I've done a few transmissions over the years with varying results. I'd rather just get together with somebody that knows what they're doing.

I want to make 100% clear that this transmission was free to me. I did not pay for it and I don't feel I'm entitled to any warranty claim or any anything from anybody. I didn't call Passion, he's dead to me. For $3800 (of somebody else's money) he had his shot to make it right before it left his shop. Even if it was warrantied, I probably wouldn't see it for a year.

PXL_20220415_152955978.jpg

I’d call passion. Your family paid the money. And should be entitled to the warranty.

I know a guy down here in Portland that been building manual transmissions for close to 50 years.

This post makes no sense. $3800 dollars for a manual trans from Passion and it’s junk? Never heard anything but good about Passion and you won’t give him the chance to make it right? As Paul Harvey would ask “what is the rest of the story”….

This post makes no sense. $3800 dollars for a manual trans from Passion and it’s junk? Never heard anything but good about Passion and you won’t give him the chance to make it right? As Paul Harvey would ask “what is the rest of the story”….
What does anybody's past experience with passon have to do with my experience? I gave some facts about what I found inside this transmission and I'm looking for somebody to help get it sorted out. I'm a big boy and I'll just pay someone locally to have it fixed. As of right now I'm $0 into it so it's not really worth it to give up what I guarantee will be a huge amount of time waiting for him to fix it and send it back. I'm not throwing them under the bus, just telling you what I saw.

Oh and if you dig for about 3 seconds you will find plenty of garbage about Jamie and his transmissions. I know some people have a lot more on the line than I do and they have been pretty vocal about it. I'm just looking for somebody that will work on this thing for me.

You must have missed the 855 catastrophe thread...

I don’t have the time but its very simple to take one of these apart and clean it up. Putting it back together is simple as well.

I will find a number of a guy in Marysville.
He fixxed a 4 speed for my father.
There were some problems with some of the parts being sold years ago that were causing binding.

If you're comfortable removing the side cover, I'd suggest removing the tailshaft housing.
Buddy of mine got a 'new' 833 that had the rear bearing retaining clip loose due to being too thick to fit properly. We sanded it down on 220grit on a plate of glass until it fit snug.

With the clip undone, it wouldn't shift into 2nd, just grind. It could sometimes get 3 or 4th, but downshifting was impossible.

Worth pulling the tailshaft to ensure the rear bearing isn't flopping about.

I was thinking about getting YouTube certified and just going for it. I've rebuilt scores of engines for cars and motorcycles but I've made some real problems for myself with a couple of transmissions I went through. A member here just gave me a number of a guy that's right in my neighborhood so I'll reach out to him.

I thank everybody for your input. I'm probably a daily reader here but I shy away from posting.

I'm not changing the subject but I'm also currently working through an issue I created for myself. I once read that if you are going to run a roller cam in an LA block you should probably bush the bores or you will have problems. I said to myself "BAAHHH!! THAT'S NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN TO ME". Well, now I've got 16 oil leaks. I'm glad I primed the engine with the intake manifold off. I will write about this later on a new thread.

-
Back