I need a tech on this rear end I found

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have herd that if I can find a sure grip 7 1/4 it would be stronger and last longer with my standard trans, So I need a tech to help me on this rear and what if it needs rebuilt or is this the kind of sure grip that can not be repaired

Here is the link to the E-bay sale http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PLYM...s=Year:1966|Model:Valiant&hash=item20b7998373

Thank you for all the help I have been getting in the past :rock:

that one looks like toast, rust on the gears so they are not usable, you could reuse the sure grip and have it installed in your rear for a couple hundred dollars labor plus the $199 he wants for it plus shipping you are going to be near $500, not worth it in my opinion, a 7 1/4" is stronger with the sure grip in it because when you spin the wheels it will put load on both side gears as it try's to spin both rear wheels, if you are not prone to do burn outs and spin the rear wheels often, a standard open rear works better in a normal driven car, you are most likely to spin the wheels on wet rainy days when traction is poor, this happens most often when going around a turn, with a sure grip, posi, locker, or other type of limited slip or locking rear you will spin both rear wheels hydroplane loosing traction and causing the back of the car to spin around causing a complete loss of control, where as with an open rear in the same situation only one wheel will spin leaving the other side in contact with the road preventing the car from spinning out of control, not saying sure grip's are bad just that the have there good and bad property's and you need to be aware of them when driving with one

that one looks like toast, rust on the gears so they are not usable, you could reuse the sure grip and have it installed in your rear for a couple hundred dollars labor plus the $199 he wants for it plus shipping you are going to be near $500, not worth it in my opinion, a 7 1/4" is stronger with the sure grip in it because when you spin the wheels it will put load on both side gears as it try's to spin both rear wheels, if you are not prone to do burn outs and spin the rear wheels often, a standard open rear works better in a normal driven car, you are most likely to spin the wheels on wet rainy days when traction is poor, this happens most often when going around a turn, with a sure grip, posi, locker, or other type of limited slip or locking rear you will spin both rear wheels hydroplane loosing traction and causing the back of the car to spin around causing a complete loss of control, where as with an open rear in the same situation only one wheel will spin leaving the other side in contact with the road preventing the car from spinning out of control, not saying sure grip's are bad just that the have there good and bad property's and you need to be aware of them when driving with one

dont also all the 7.25 suregrip rear have the big bolt axles with different spline or is that only in the 70"s

Thank you all for your insite, I think I will pass on it , the cost and repairs and shipping would hurt, He douse say he will part it out and ship. Would my axles be the same as the sure grip unit axles ??? He might give me a good price on just the Sure grip unit.
I sure would hate to miss out on a 7 1/4 sure grip. We all know how hard they are to find. But I don't hit my little Valiant hard and dump the clutch much, Just dun it about 7 time in three years.
I think my money would be better spent on sway bars :glasses8:

But if my axles will fit I will e-mail and see if he will take an offer

dont also all the 7.25 suregrip rear have the big bolt axles with different spline or is that only in the 70"s
Only the 70'es Kidd, He said it has 5 on 4'' so it is SBP.

the big bolt 7 1/4 rear,s came on light duty cars with big bolt front disk brakes, the heavy duty option was the 8 1/4 so I think that is what got the sure grip, not sure if they put them in 7 1/4 that late

the big bolt 7 1/4 rear,s came on light duty cars with big bolt front disk brakes, the heavy duty option was the 8 1/4 so I think that is what got the sure grip, not sure if they put them in 7 1/4 that late

ok cool good to know...

-
Back