I need advice - problem with bodyshop

-

Rengo

Reaction score
I had a body shop do the work on the front half of my car, spent $600 getting my fenders into primer, $450 on the hood (still paying) and $200 on a filler panel.. I move to Lawrence soon and plan on taking the car with me, my problem is, the owner said he is "greasing the wheels" on this project, every time I go to make a payment he tells me he doesn't know how many hours are in something and then charges me for it.. then when I go in, he says.. oh wait I guess we did more work on that.. and then charges me more.. I had the fenders done first, they are paid for.. so I went to the next part.. that was paid for so I went to the hood.. I think he is going to try and keep everything there and then say oh I guess we did more work than I though, then turn around and charge me.. How would you go about on getting all of these? I will pay more on the hood this Friday.

What is weird, none of these panels had major dents, and the hood had a few hail dings, had a scoop bolted on, he didn't even cut a hole in the hood, nor scuffed up the scoop, just slapped it on. Has anyone else had to pay this much for so little?
How much should I expect to pay?

well figure our shop charges 75 an hr and about 7-10K for a full strip and paint...

but he sounds like he is jerking you around... you need to be getting an estimate that says x hrs on this.... the final bill should be close to that and if it isn't you need to be fighting it so he wont screw you on the hole car...

I feel your pain lost 10k and my merc cougar to a shoddy body shop. PULL IT It OUT NOW. hopefully the car was documented well before going in. Document when you pull it out. Every body shop has to run a job sheet documenting hours and parts that wen in. No job sheet no pay. That's why j say pull it out now before he has a chance to forge one. Don't call first, show up and tell him your removing the car, ask for job sheet, go over the sheet and the car with him make sure your comfortable enough with the resulting cost. Do not let it sit there it will just turn into more and more of a hastle.

I only have the fenders, filler panel and hood in.. I will take the fenders filler panel and scoop if he tries to keep it.. then leave a big *** dent in the hood...

body shops aren't allowed to charge more than 42 bucks per insurance companies. but i would ask for my parts and get someone else more trusting to do it.

Good news, I went to the shop and talked with the owner. He totaled up what I have paid and compared it to what it should cost. He agreed that I shouldn't have had to pay 600 for the fenders when they were dent free. Then he decided to call it even at a few hundred this Friday and is going to allow me to take everything home. He apologized for not keeping good paper work, then stated he would do a better job in the future. I was seriously worried that I was going to lose out on this one. I am glad I listened to everyone that said get it out asap, I was going to try to do this today, kept my cool and it all worked out.. Thank you to everyone that gave in put.

Go with a friend, have them remain silent, but as a witness. Not a bad idea to have your cell phone on record when you arrive and ask him if you can make a record of what he says as you also write down notes, you do not have to disclose that you are making an audio record, just ask if you can make a record as you take notes. Insist that he show you the job sheet, also tell him that you need the sheet metal now as it is due to go to the next step of the restoration process (next step being defined as in your possession).
Folks like this string you along and keep getting money from you. You have no way to know what all they do, so get your stuff and in the future use a shop that someone you trust also uses ,and have them go with you the first time. Build a friendly relationship with them and the work will always be good and priced right.

My two cents worth...

cool. good to hear you are getting it figured out.

only thing is....I would get it in writing that you are paid up (other than the couple hundred you still owe or whatever)....whats to say that when you show up he hasnt already worked up paper work saying you owe him more or something.

might not be the case at all but its good to cover your bases incase something gets messed up.

its things like what you have gone through and what you are paying that make me glad I do all my own work......much cheaper....and if it gets screwed up ,the only person i can get P!$$ed and yell at is myself LOL

So you have a little over $1,000 into it and over 1/3 of the car is prepped for paint.

And he is letting you pay as you go.

Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.

Even cheap stuff adds up quick. Omni is about the cheapest out there and I'm still 500 deep in materials just to get the cuda in primer. However someone who isn't straight up or keep good records is a huge red flag. He may be at a fair price now but he caught it early and from the sound of it he was getting set up for a good raping. Forget who said it (on my phone) but he's right get EVERYTHING on paper. First thing you learn with dealing with army recruiters, if it ain't on paper it doesn't exist.

I spent 1500.00 in metal(material+bulk shipping), found a body shop at 40 an hr. When the car got in and evaluated it was estimated for 40hrs to replace two quarters, two rockers, both front floor boards, and repair the fwd frame rails. Ended up at 55 hrs and understandably so due to the rust. Only thing that irritated me was the shop was back logged and didn't always keep me in the loop. Good body/restoration shop just the same.
www.cjautobody.com in Blue Jacket Oklahoma.

NITTY GRITTY time.....

1. WHAT DID YOU ASK FOR? 100 pt 100% show paintjob? 20 footer? "driver?"Materials & labor WILL always vary based on the result desired and THAT ( the result you asked for) drives the price

2. VERY FEW people know or realize what it takes to PROPERLY paint a vehicle....because when they think of PAINT they think of LOWES or HOME DEPOT and how long it takes to "paint" a room and they mentally compare the two and ALWAYS think the painting process costs too much.

3. In general, Painting a car can cost anywhere from 3k to 200k NO BODY WORK, JUST FINISH PAINT....depending on what you want. driver quality Black will cost less than driver quality candy....because the candy process is way longer and the paint is 4 times the cost because CANDY needs an undercoat, so you are actually painting the car like 4 plus times MINIMUM 2 base coats and then a minimum of 2 candy coats ( usually more like 4 or 5 )

4. speculating and commenting on what is and isnt a RIP OFF WITHOUT KNOWING what was requested is BS!!! If you wanted every panel really flat, that takes days & days of priming and blocking over & over until that panel is as flat as humanly possible, then the base coat is laid on at least 2 - 3 coats...then the clear which is often loaded on so the panels can again be blocked sanded flat, then wheeled.

5. there are likely 100 material combinations of primers, and at least that many of the color coat and likely close to that for the clear. you want shop grade paint or house of color? you want a base coat of epoxy primer before the build primer that gets blocked?
EVERY SINGLE DECISION HAS A COST ASSOCIATED and the better the desired result the more the cost is for materials and the longer the hours to perform the labor! THERE ARE NO GENERIC COSTS FOR PAINTING A CLASSIC!!! THIS is NOT MAACO or EARL SCHEIB this is a craftsman performing a custom process based on the desired result!!

6. SANDING: do you want manual blocking or DA smoothing? one eats sand paper like a glutton and takes hour & hours & days & days to do, the other can be done in a single day but your finish coat will reflect the grade of prepwork, you want peelbumps and waves like at an oceanic beach or do you want a MIRROR finish?

7. level setting: The RED paint I selected for my ENGINE was a special color blend of shop grade PPG DBU paint to accurately mimic MOPAR red from the 60's. The blended quart cost to the SHOP was $168!!! and that does not include hardener or reducer/thinner OR CLEAR!!! ( reds are always MORE expensive)

8. Planning your course: things to consider BEFORE going to any shop to get an estimate.
Do you want fenders & doors removed to be painted so they can be painted exactly the same way( inside & out)they were when they were initially built?
Do you want the fender bolts painted to match color?
Do you want the header panel painted blackl or the color of the car?
Do you want the inside of the hood color or black?
Do you want the underside painted to match the color or black?
Do you want the inside of the car painted to color before re assy?
Do you want the Jams & inside the trunk painted?
Do you want the door strikers removed so they remain as stock?
Do you want the inside door latches removed so they remain as stock and without overspray or color?
Do you want to car painted with a spray gun or a whisk broom?

point being.... DO NOT ASSUME, BE SPECIFIC, WORK WITH YOUR PAINTER to review your options and the associated costs and MAKE A LIST that both of you understand the outcome that will be produced and the forecast-ed costs and tally them up with your painter so there will be NO SURPRISES, you will know within a feww hundred what your total cost for PAINT will be.

9. SAME applies for BODY work...
DO you want your car stripped?
Do you want them to use oxides or glass or plastic media to strip it?
Do you want all metal replacements?
the list goes ON & ON & ON & ON & ON & ON

10 there is NO SUCH thing as a quick or cheap paint job on any classic

Things you must have .
1 a painter that you trust
2 an accurate list of what you want for you and for the painter & body man
3 a firm direction ( changes on the fly will cost you more & more and present a hassle for the body man & painter)
4 TIME......never be in a rush or push your body & paint guys....the results will reflect your impatience regardless of cost
5 Patience " good things in life take time"
6 a firm budget and 20% emergency & changes funds
7 a body man that you trust and list of what he will be doing and the materials he will use

before YOU agree to anything, get apples to apples estimates from at least 2 other shops...and this is right down to the brand & level of primers and paints to be used

BOTTOM line, this is NOT simple!!! TO BE DONE CORRECTLY and without surprise, it requires involvement and options and selections and compromises up the waazoo !!!!

IF you had all this prep work done, you would KNOW if you were getting "jerked" by your painter/body guy or if he was doing what he said he would for the cost he said he would do it for.....if you didnt do all this prep work, then you got what you asked for

My Auto Body instructor just restored the body and painted a 55 corvette. This was one of those paint jobs where he had to replicate factory runs and factory finish (basically he had to make it look exactly like it did when it left the factory).

He charged $40k for the paint job and was bitching about how he lost about $20k when he figured in all his labor time.

-
Back