i need help from anyone who has built a mopar a body

-
dgc333 said:
I have heard conflicting stories on whether the volare spindles will work or not. I believe they are taller and the issue that ups for dicussion as I recall is that the relation ship between the upper and lower control arms change and it will adversely impact the action of the front suspension.

Everthing else will work just fine though.

so i could use that volare setup as long as i found 73-76 abody disc brake spindles?

thanson_mopar said:
so i could use that volare setup as long as i found 73-76 abody disc brake spindles?

you may nead the 73-76 duster spindles,you nead to check there height compaired to the aspen. you deffinately nead the 73-76 A body upper arms. it shocks me that nobody is making an aftermarket ball joint for this convershon, but ive never seen one.

They do, attached to new tubular adjustable A arms. Not really cheap however.

The F-Body spindle IS taller than the A-Body. Some people use it, although there will be some camber change through the motion of travel due to the change in geometry. If you are building a bracket car and occasional street cruiser, go for it. If you are building a street car with an eye towards handling, try to score the correct parts.

if you look in mopar collectors guide,,i believe there are a few companys now making all of it,,spindles,,,A arms,,,it can be had,,,but may not be cheap,,

fstfish66 said:
if you look in mopar collectors guide,,i believe there are a few companys now making all of it,,spindles,,,A arms,,,it can be had,,,but may not be cheap,,

"but may not be cheap" is the problem. I think ill get the 77 volare's power disc brake setup and compare parts. It will be a start anyway

thanson_mopar said:

Yes, the calipers and rotors are the same between the two cars. You would use the volare brake hoses if you are going to mount the calipers to the rear or A-body hoses if you mount the calipers to the front. With you car being a 74 the sway bar (if you have one) will go through the k-member and mount in board of the strut rod on the lower control arm so there is no reason to swap sides with the spindles to allow mounting the calipers to the back.

chrisII said:
you may nead the 73-76 duster spindles,you nead to check there height compaired to the aspen. you deffinately nead the 73-76 A body upper arms. it shocks me that nobody is making an aftermarket ball joint for this convershon, but ive never seen one.

He already has a 74 so the upper arms he has are fine.

the upper A arms are the same for drum or disc,,,,if you have a 74 then you have the big ball joint upper,,no nned to change,,,but you may want to replace the bushings while you are converting,,

look around on this site,, some one just did a conversion,,using some custom made parts from scarebird,,and then some over the counter parts,,said it worked great,,this guy or company i have sen on other sites,,making all kids of mopar brake up grades,,at affordable prices,, using orignal spindles i believe,, hope this helps

would putting discs on from a 70 duster be easier or would the 77 volare setup be easier? any opinions? i just want to find out what works the best for everbody before i yank the onld drums off.

the 70 duster will fit fine,it all depends what your trying to do,,and what is the bolt pattern on the rear of your car,,the 73 and up disc will be 4 1/2 bolt pattern,,for your wheels,,the same with the volare,,4 1/2 bolt pattern,,,
the 70 duster,, if it is orignal stuff,, will be 4 inch bolt pattern,, there are way more wheels to choose from with the 4 1/2 bolt patern,,very limited wheel selectio with the 4 inch,,70 duster,,so if you have 4 inch in the rear,,and do not plan on changing the rear bolt pattern,, then use the 70 duster,,but i would change the car over to 4 1/2 bolt pattern,,all depends how deep your pockets are,, and what your doing with the car,, you will need 2 spare tires if you change the front and not the back,,

Welcome and the car looks great! I have been working on my cuda for 2 years and you are much father so dont feel bad or rush it! Take your time and do it right. Look under parts for sale on this site. There is a guy selling a brand new Master Power disc conversion for $750. Thats a steal and its all complete new parts ready to go. We just did this on my buddies car and it was real easy and works great! I was going to buy this myself but run into money issues. Well worth the money if you can swing it! Good luck Tom

the 70 duster will fit fine,it all depends what your trying to do,,and what is the bolt pattern on the rear of your car,,the 73 and up disc will be 4 1/2 bolt pattern,,for your wheels,,the same with the volare,,4 1/2 bolt pattern,,,
the 70 duster,, if it is orignal stuff,, will be 4 inch bolt pattern,, there are way more wheels to choose from with the 4 1/2 bolt patern,,very limited wheel selectio with the 4 inch,,70 duster,,so if you have 4 inch in the rear,,and do not plan on changing the rear bolt pattern,, then use the 70 duster,,but i would change the car over to 4 1/2 bolt pattern,,all depends how deep your pockets are,, and what your doing with the car,, you will need 2 spare tires if you change the front and not the back,,

ok, looks like ill use the 77's disc setup for the larger bolt pattern

-
Back