I need meaner sound!

-

Craig NY

Reaction score
Well my car is in the shop, and my mech said that the car sounds too tame, and i have to agree! I have headman long tubes going into Flows, no crossover then out to two tails.They sound like three chamber delta flows(too quiet for me!) I want a louder sound, i want to keep costs down, i was thinking of just changing mufflers for now and dumping them, eliminating tailpipes. Should i go with a glasspack with some turndown tips? Remember i like it loud!

What I did was cut the tail pipes off right at the muffler and canned them. My car sounds much better. I haven't had a chance to get some turn downs installed yet but the mufflers stop right before the rear axle. It has a deep "big block" sound to it now compared to before. I also have long tube Headman headers and Flow 40s with out H or X pipe installed yet. I would give that a shot first if I was you. I personally never cared to much about the glass pack sound and they tend to pop and crack when you let off the gas. I like deep throaty sound without the poping noise. You can also have some cut outs installed before the mufflers right at the header flangs which you would have straight exhaust and with the push of a switch you could have the normal exhaust again. I have one on my truck and it is killer. I got it from Quicktime Performance.

more sound? flows 40 series. go to their website and listen to the audio files.

i have flow masters,,40;s 2 inch header tubes in to a flow master scavenger collector,,,3 inch pipes,, comming out in front of the rear tire,, im considering tail pipes,,or maybe a muffler with a nice sound,,,,but no so louuuuuuud

i got headers with 40 series flows 21/2 pipes out the back 2ft. 31/2 tips got a good deep rumble at idle but when u hit her shes loud if i was u i'd keep your tailpipes change muffers glasspacks + tailpipes i wouldn' use cherrybombs they have the bomber sound the bluewalker glasspacks sound good do it yourself it shoudn't cost but 50 dollars for packs clamps adpaters goodluck

Cherry bombs are for old school low riders in my opinion. Shouldn't some good Flowmasters or Magnaflows give some good sound?

Im running Dynomax bullets on mine. Not expensive and I guarantee you will piss the neighbors off, LOL. :toothy7:

A long time ago a friend of mine bought a 4 speed, 440 6 pack charger that had headers & straight pipes all the way back over the axles, no mufflers. If you want loud........ :lol:

:burnout:

416 scamp,,, thats a good one , ide be intrested in that sound,,,
i know a guy im MD,, has a 650 C.I. hemi 16;1 compression in a challenger,,this is a street car,,i believe he has those same mufflers,,4 inch in and 4 inch out,,straight thru ?????round ???
i was at an event ,,,didnt know he was there,,, i heard him a few blocks away,,no sound like that i have ever heard,,i wondered if it was the mufflers?? or that big HEMI
buy the way ide love to piss off the neighbors,,,,,,,,lol :angry4:

I have Flomaster 40's on my cuda, exhaust is dumped at axle it's load enough to set car alarms off when I go by, that was without headers

im leaning towards the dynomax race mufflers and some turndown tips to dump it right after the muffler, that should do me until i can afford new headers, x pipe, etc...what do yall think?

I run a 2 chamber Flowmaster that exits just before the rear tire…that makes enough sound at low RPM to set off every car alarm within a 25 foot radius. :thumbup:

That is the same way I ran mine until I got my headers and x pipe kit. If you want to hear what it sounded like on my 318 4bbl, heres a link. My Dynomax Bullets are the long 27" ones.
Dynomax Race Mufflers

Personaly, whatever you do, get them exhaust gasses out from under the vehicle. They are very corrosive, and it WILL accelerate the rate of decay of your vehicle if you leave it dumping under the car for long (months or more, a few days or so wont be critical) also any place that the fumes can penetrate the floor pan or trunk will allow them to find their way into the cockpit, not that it will kill you (although, it could) but it can give you headaches and you might not realize why your getting them. Either side pipes or tail pipes, no dif, just so long as they dump somewhere other than underneath. Also depending on your exhaust you currently have, it is probably blowing hot exhaust on the rear end, just that much more added heat to the fluids, etc. Just my .02 for the day.

Nothing cooler sounding than open headers on a new 12 to 1 big block, WOOT.

Thanks for the info guys! 321Scamp your car sounds great!, i think im gonna go with the dynomax, for the price you cant go wrong, sniper good points on the gasses, do you know off hand where i could score side exit pipes?

im running the 3" race dynomax mufflers with three inch pipe. i also installed the "x" pipe kit from jegs with turn downs. its a little loud but "nice" a the same time. i love it. vroom -vroom!!!

swingtown said:
im running the 3" race dynomax mufflers with three inch pipe. i also installed the "x" pipe kit from jegs with turn downs. its a little loud but "nice" a the same time. i love it. vroom -vroom!!!
Sounds good to me loud is good!

Here is how I finished my system.

3211.JPG

321.JPG

-
Back