I need some header input!

-

metallidart

member me?
Reaction score
Heres the question:
How much hp would I lose going from the headers I already have, some hooker super comps with 1 3/4 tubes, to a normal set of smash the header under the tie rod 1 5/8 tubes? The reason I ask is that I have a 73' Dart Sport 340 that someone installed an earlier style Kmember in. If I were running manual steering, that makes it perfect for using the SC headers I already have. But, I'd like to use the spool mount, and power steering, if I wouldn't lose a ton of HP going to smaller tubes. I could sell my Kmember/5204 headers/manual box/etc and get the parts I need without much cash outlay in the end.

Heres the combo:
I have a 422 stroker/1970 340 block. Decks cut parallel, main studs/girdle and alignhoned. bored/plate honed, bushed lifter bores, priority main oiling and other oiling mods. The previous owner built the shortblock, and I got the receipts for everything. Since it was very low miles/runs, I didn't tear it all the way down so I don't know exactly what has been done to the oiling system. I do know he didn't spare any expense when he was building it. All forged bottom end, h-beams, JE pistons, Fluidamper, etc all balanced.

I have a cam that is getting reground by Bullit, it will be .604/.600 lift 245/[email protected]. I forget the rest of the specs off hand. Its a solid roller.

Set of Edelbrock RPM heads that I'll probably port myself and have a good valve job/guides checked. Crane Gold rockers, etc. As of right now, its got a Victor 340 intake, but thats another issue in itself.

So, what do you guys think? Stick with the biscuit K, manual steering, and big tubes, or go with PS, small tubes, and the correct front suspension? I will be doing more cruising and street bruising than anything, Quaker City Raceway is twenty minutes away from me but I don't think I'll have the time to go too often. Midrange torque and HP is my favorite feeling. I'll give a little up in the higher RPMs any day. What should I do.

Probably lose not much of nothing at all if the headers are not actually smashed. It's not really the flow with cheap headers that's the problem. It's the fit.

I have wondered about that. I know I've always used the cheap headers, and (to me) my cars ran great. I am just worried that after finally being able to sink a little bit of money into an engine, that I am going to have something that is mismatched and holding me back. Headers seem to be one of those parts that it is hard to get a straight answer on. Heck, even MP recommended the huge tube headers for the 380 horse crate engines, but I go to the dragstrip and see cars running 11's with small tubes. I guess I was just thinking that since the stroker is gonna be pulling alot more air in, that it would be best to have the tubes big enough to get it out.

For an update, I'm selling the hooker super comps, pn 5204. I am getting an awesome deal on some tti's, so I guess I'm going to go that route. Pretty frikkin happy bout that.

Thanks strokerscamp for your input!
Dustin

If the headers are in good shape they may even improve your performance. One of the biggest mistakes with headers is going too large which makes turbulance. Just slightly over the size of the exhaust valve is usually better!
Al

It will do better with the 1.75 super comp.

Depending on HP output. If it's up to or around 500ish maybe 5-10. At 550+ step it up to about a 15-20hp loss

Are you getting those large tube TTI's??

Yes sir!! I can't wait to get them. From what I've read, and how I want (and I'm hoping) my engine to perform, they are exactly what I need. They are the 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 step.

Yes sir!! I can't wait to get them. From what I've read, and how I want (and I'm hoping) my engine to perform, they are exactly what I need. They are the 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 step.
Think those are the smaller ones....

Yeah, they are. I couldn't pass them up for the price, and I doubt I'll lose too much hp...I hope? Plus, I can run power steering, and my spool mount k that I'll be getting off of another member next week!

To be honest, I think they are the smaller ones. I was comparing them in the pics to the pics on the tti website. I'll have to check when they get here. Either way, I won't be disappointed lol.

-
Back