I need to get the Dirtbikes out in 2023- opinions on mentoring a kid who doesn't get the opportunity to ride

-

SLOPAR72

Reaction score
This has been waning on me for the last year. Not getting any younger but still feel the zeal to ride. I still have my KX250 which was a handful even 10 years ago... But I also have a really nice TTR125 right beside it. And adding to that we have an awesome facility 20 minutes away (motorcross, woods, trials, etc.) I have been lucky to have had access to places as I grew up and have the bikes to ride. But today, things are different.

I have an opportunity to bring someone into the hobby that just has too many obstacles but want to ride or atleast see if it triggers an interest. There is of course the liability side of it but so is driving down the highway. Looking for opinions, thoughts, or even stories of doing something like this...

JW

Image620042575.jpg

Image473993966.jpg

I restore vintage road bikes . Mostly Yamaha two stroke road burners with some Moto Guzzi and BMW thrown in. Been riding 58 years now.I mentored a guy in his 40's when I was in my 60's.Taught him how to wrench on this old early 1970's BMW R60/5 he had. It was a very rewarding experience .We had lots of garage time and when we got his machine road worthy we traveled some to some really cool places camping and riding.With a kid I'd start with the wrenching aspect of motorcycling first.If he picks it up then he'll be a good kid to put the effort into to make him a rider. If he likes working on them he'll love riding them and having that understanding about how things work and how important having everything right will make him a better and safer rider.

My1966RedYM!.jpg

My EXC 500 when new.... not sure how I would feel about doing that today.. I tried with my daughter... after a few falls she was out. If it was someone else's child I am not sure I could do it.

DSCN3155.jpeg

ok, question number 1, does this someone have any experience with riding?
does he know how to shift?

there was a time i would ride all the time and i always had what i referred to as a "buddy bike"

the only downside was that think was a typical 2 stroke... no easing into what so ever

now, i got the wife a lil TTR like the one you got there and if i had to pic a bike for a beginner, that would be it
(and we all know, 4 strokes arent real dirtbikes, so its nice and smooth)

the seat height of the TTR is also darn near a foot lower then the other buddy bike i have, and that means anyone can get on it and not tip over

(i took one guy with me once and he was too short to keep the bike up and and get going, so each time he wiped out he had to find a berm to climb on to get going again)

so in short, if this is their first time out, find an open field for them to first learn how to ride
and then just take it easy, let them lead and set the pace, if they are comfortable with it

Put him on a mountain bike 1st, see if he even has balance. Kids these days aren't the same as us older kids

This has been waning on me for the last year. Not getting any younger but still feel the zeal to ride. I still have my KX250 which was a handful even 10 years ago... But I also have a really nice TTR125 right beside it. And adding to that we have an awesome facility 20 minutes away (motorcross, woods, trials, etc.) I have been lucky to have had access to places as I grew up and have the bikes to ride. But today, things are different.

I have an opportunity to bring someone into the hobby that just has too many obstacles but want to ride or atleast see if it triggers an interest. There is of course the liability side of it but so is driving down the highway. Looking for opinions, thoughts, or even stories of doing something like this...

JW

View attachment 1716038387

View attachment 1716038389

I guess I’ll ask how big and how old is this person?
We had our youngest on a Honda SL 200 at 10 years old when he had to stand on something to get on it and take off.
I would catch him when he came in to stop so the bike wouldn’t fall over.
He ate **** HARD more than a few times.
But that was our own kid.

Parental permission is pretty much a must.
I personally wouldn’t put a 10 or probably even a 12 year old on that 125 unless they could sit on it with both feet flat on the ground.

Every dirt bike I ever had when I was a kid my Dad would tell me to lay down on the ground and he would lay the bike on top of me.
If I could lift it off or even get out from under it I was allowed to ride it.

I just got an 85 ytm 225 3 wheeler and started teaching my 12 year old step son how to ride.
I still have a 2000 xr 100 that was my kids before , as well as a 2010 Polaris 90 quad , a 92 lt250 Suzuki quad racer, a 2008 drz400 Suzuki and 2 83 ytm 200 3 wheelers one is a runner the other is complete but a bit crusty and unknown.
I have not been riding in the dirt for many years but now with a youngster with desire to ride I'm going for it.
Just like cars it can build a life long hobby and commaradary.
Definitely the 125 would be a good starter bike.

67 and I still ride. I started my son racing dirt bikes then ATV's , We rode together when we got a chance. He is always to busy and he has babies that need a father to raise. So every once in a while I go out with old friends. I love the road king. Its better off road then the others and smaller turning radius. Also softer on the ***.

DSCN1239.JPG

78575016_2787558141288493_7119959860027850752_n.jpg

79080288_2787558444621796_5093901040634298368_n.jpg

79101369_2787558594621781_6360119925628993536_n.jpg

DSCN0730.JPG

DSCN0731 (2).JPG

DSCN0933.JPG

With today's shithouse lawyers looking for a payday I'd say nope. Depending on their age enroll them in a rider's course.

-
Back