I put the duster on the drag strip

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
Well I ran the duster the the track I got 5 runs in and it started vapor locking real bad. So I loaded it up and took it home.

It was spinning really bad I could have gained 2 sec if it hooked

I was sideways shifting to 4 gear that's how bad it was. But for my first time not to bad.

best time was

R/T .94
60' 2.664
330 6.990
1/8 10.579
MPH 70.05
1000 13.617

Et 16.168
MPH 88.72

Dude,you must be blowing the tires off it. My 318 duster ran 9.40 1/8 on 245/14s Sounds like youd have been a lot faster taking it easier. That combo should run mid 8s in the 1/8.Bet it was fun though.

I was having to launch at 1000 and still spinning

I had a run that was 16.669 it was bad I was spinning in all gears but I want from 3ed to 4th and the back kicked out a lot scared the crap out of me.

Bigger cam than I have but basically the same motor. Im spinning drag radials running 1.97 60ft 8.3s 1/8th mile. You need more traction lol

Time for some sticky and/or wider tires on the back.

Stock springs? pinion snubber?

My set up

295/50/15 street tires open 3.55 gear
Leaf spring from under a a100 van 7 leafs thick does not squat at all.
calvert shocks at 80/20 in front.

Limited slip,obviously. The A-100 springs,a new one on me. What rear shocks,guy? That could be limiting ,the rear suspension rise. Stock a body shocks?

Limited slip,obviously. The A-100 springs,a new one on me. What rear shocks,guy? That could be limiting ,the rear suspension rise. Stock a body shocks?

Air shocks (yeah yeah I know)

The rear end picked up and then started spinning.

As far as leaf springs they are 73 duster spring with spring added from an A100 van for a total of 7 used to lift the rear for a rake look.

Check this out,Kiddo: Put the rear end of the car up on jack stands,on the frame rails. Take your jack,jack up the rear end slightly, 3-4" . Loosen a lower shock nut off,let the shock drop down.Slowly,let the jack pressure off. When the rear end droops completely,see if the lower shock eye matches it's mounting point,with the spring. If not(what I expect to see), grab a measurement with a tape measure(fully extended). I would expect your shocks,need a longer length. Why I mentioned,the Imperial shocks. A video ,of a launch,(strip/street) would be priceless.

Drag racing 101 you need a suregrip start here. What tires street tires!!! drag radials at minimum or slicks.

Track prep will have little to do with MPH. Unless it's ice all the way down track.

Drag racing 101 you need a suregrip start here. What tires street tires!!! drag radials at minimum or slicks.

If this statement is true, it should be your #1 goal!!!!!

If you are doing a one tire fryer, you will be MORE then Double you traction. with a pos(Suregrip)

Remember, it is the tire with the lowest amount of Traction that is spinning.

If it is a open diff(non Suregrip unit), try this out. Don't do a smoke burnout with street tires, go round the water box. Back up to it with out getting into the water. NOW, do just little churp or bark the the tires. Then do it over and over again until you reach the staging beam area.
That was the best way i could make a open diff street tire hook. being a standard or stick shift, makes this challenge even harder.

If it is a open diff(non Suregrip unit), try this out. Don't do a smoke burnout with street tires, go round the water box. Back up to it with out getting into the water. NOW, do just little churp or bark the the tires. Then do it over and over again until you reach the staging beam area.
That was the best way i could make a open diff street tire hook. being a standard or stick shift, makes this challenge even harder.

Yes as above - never water on a street tire.
1. - there is no benefit to "heating" that kind of tire, can actually make the tire grab worse
2. - also what makes sense to me was I heard once that a all purpose street tire will sling water into the wheel wells, even increasing the chance that water from the box will/could drip on the tires the whole run down the track
I bark the tires dry and forget above any "clutch dump" with street tires and a 4 speed. I roll out and suffer terrible 60' times.
A sure grip & some "track tires" are going to be in order.

-
Back