I re-visit Juneau, Alaska After 25 Year Absence

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Looks about the same. I lived downtown above the Imperial Bar/Saloon (second and third floors) from 1990 to 1993. (see first two fotos)

The business next door to the bar is now a storefront that sells marijuana. I did not go inside. (see third foto)

Found work as a bank teller while I was there. Step-brat moved back to Juneau this year after falling in love with a classmate she found at her 20 year high school reunion. (Juneau-Douglas High School) The couple are both 39 years-old and never married. The rug in the fourth foto with the happy couple is a "magic carpet" that i purchased in 2009 when I spent an afternoon shopping and lunching in Tangiers, Morocco.

The Mendenhall Glacier has melted quite a bit since I last saw it. The bald eagles are still everywhere (see fotos five and six).

The downtown tramcar that rises half-way up Mt. Roberts is new to me, provides a great view of the Gastineau Channel below (fotos seven and eight).

Did not do any whale watching, but there is a life size statue downtown (foto nine). Humpback whales are out in May for sure. Weather was clear and dry until the last day when the typical drizzle set in.

alaska one.JPG

alaska two.JPG

Alaska three.JPG

Alaska four.JPG

Alaska five.JPG

Alaska six.JPG

Alaska seven.JPG

Alaska eight.JPG

Alaska nine.JPG

Looks like a nice place do visit. Thanks for the pics. That whale looks real. Good luck to the happy couple.

Juneau has a rich history.

Gold mines & aviation history galore.

I have been there several times, but I was born in Ketchikan, not too far away.

cool pics. I was in Alaska once flew into Anchorage and drove down to Kenai. It was awesome saw tons of eagles and a moose dead on the road. I definitely want to go back.

I am also from Alaska, Elmendorf AFB.. Left when I was 1 yr old. Took my wife back in 09 for a land, sea cruise...It was awesome..Definitely on my to do again list....Thanks for the Pics....

Any family photos from Elmendorf?

Alaska Airlines DC-6 at Elmendorf AFB in 1960;

Elmendorf in 1960 w.jpg

Driving back home in our 2001 Jeep Cherokee four-wheel drive (not Grand Cherokee) from the airport after our 10 days visiting in Juneau, Alaska, we stopped at a roadside taco stand for dinner. As soon as we came to a stop, a cloud of steam rose from under the hood.

Ending up staying at the "Hotel California" that night in Todos Santos, Baja California Sur (about $90.00 US funds). Next morning, a local "mechanic" (no shop, works in his front yard) drove us back to the car. After pouring some water in, he found the plastic radiator tank on the passenger side had cracked underneath where the top radiator hose connects.

Coincidentally (and luckily), the business immediately adjacent to the taco stand was a towing service. I contracted with the tow truck driver to load the Cherokee on his platform rig and tow it back the the mechanic's house/shop about 8 miles or so ($40.00 US funds).

The mechanic's plan was to replace the cracked radiator tank, the thermostat, and coolant. He wanted $600 pesos up front for parts, but I only had $400 pesos left in my pocket (about $23.00 US funds), which he accepted and he got to work. He thought he could have it completed around 5:00 PM. However, later he called to say they had delivered the plastic radiator side tank part for a Grand Cherokee, not the classic Cherokee. That would set us back a day, so we paid for another day at the Hotel California. Contrary to the song, there were no mirrors on the ceiling. Actually, there was no telephone and no television in the room either (see foto).

i decided to take a Mexican Bus (which runs every hour) back to our home in La Paz and retrieve my Dodge Dakota. The bus ride from Todos Santos was just a little over an hour ($8.50 US funds). I went to the local AutoZone which sold complete radiators for $125.00 US funds but they only had one with automatic transmission lines on the passenger side and our car has the lines on the driver's side.

I searched on-line and could not find the plastic tank that had split (and leaked) on sale anywhere, only found complete radiators. Drove back to Todos Santos in my pickup truck to see how the mechanic was doing. He finished everything up the second day.

I asked the mechanic if he found the plastic radiator tank at a wrecking yard? He said those at the wreckers were no good, he installed a new one. He also showed me fotos of some plugged radiator tubing and told me he rodded that crap out. I paid him the balance owed of $92.00 US funds (making total repairs = $115.00 plus the tow). I asked for a receipt but he said he did not have invoices. He finally agreed to write me out something (in pencil) on a half sheet of paper. I asked him about guaranteeing his work, he laughed and said it's good until you turn the corner. I hope he was kidding.

I still don't know how or where he found that part for the radiator. We made the 50 mile drive back to La Paz without incident, so far-so good.

View attachment 1715228707

Black bear was rummaging through the trash can at night outside the cabin 19 miles from downtown.

View attachment 1715228725

The adventure continues. You came back just in time for a Cat 4 hurricane? What a vacation. Stay safe Laddie.

We went to Alaska last summer, it was awesome. Cruise up and them train ride to Fairbanks.

IMG_6817.jpg

IMG_6885.jpg

IMG_6849.jpg

IMG_6946.jpg

IMG_6862.jpg

Last edited:
The Eagle totem above is in my hometown, less than a 1/4 mile from the house I was raised in.

46 years on the same island with an average of 13 feet of rain a year was more than enough for this kid.

I have relations in or near Anchorage. Cousin Bill writes me a letter when we were teens. "We had a bear in our kitchen! I shot it in the butt with the shotgun! He jumped through the kitchen window to escape. Now the entire neighborhood is out tracking down the butt shot bear." :elmer: Then along later in life along comes John Candy and Dan Akroyd in "The Great Outdoors" and the evil haunted bear with the bare butt. Instantly thought of cousin Bill and his shotgun :rofl:

A Lutheran Pastor I know was part Tlingit Native Alaskan (now deceased). He told me his grandmother was killed by a bear. I would like to research that story, but I don't know what his grandmother's name was. He went by the name of John Kenfield.

-
Back