I Survived a Violent Motorcycle Crash!

-
I have been off of the site for awhile. Back around the end of January I was hit by a box (moving) truck on the interstate. The truck drifted into my lane and before I could get out of the way the step bumper grabbed the crash bar on my bike (08 Dyna) and turned me sideways at about 80 mph. My dad was riding his bike behind me and but for him I probably would have gotten run over in the middle of the interstate. He laid his brand new bike down on the shoulder and ran out into the highway and dragged me out of the road. Ended up with quite a bit of road rash. Worst injury was a shattered wrist that has been surgically repaired. It's on the mend but I will probably be in a cast for another four to six weeks. Bike was destroyed. Pretty sure my riding days are over for quite some time (wife said its time to stop). To add insult to injury someone stole my boots while I was in the hospital. Thank goodness I have my Dart to keep me occupied. And in case you are wondering, this is the difference between being brain dead (or just plain dead) and of sound mind.

View attachment 1715018055
damn man - brutal stuff. You know, I swear I remember someone starting a thread looking for you a while back... good pic of the cranium cover - makes us other riders stop and think for a minute.. not trying to say anything, but this IS why I stay off the interstates and just go puttin'. Been thinking seriously about buying a newer scoot but maybe I am better off with the ol' shovel WG... that old 4spd. sounds like it wants to blow apart right around 60mph. - maybe it's trying to tell me something... GLAD you are here to tell us about it! :thumbsup:

so glad you are ok and on the mend. why didn't someone put up a post when this happened? maybe in some small way your family here could have done something for you. even if it was just a pm or a card, but we should have been able to do something for you. god bless and take care. pm me if there is anyway I can help

I wouldn't have expected a post about it. I'm not in regular contact with most of the guys on FABO. I just like the social part of it and all the help I got while building my Dart. No hard feelings from me. I appreciate all the sentiments now after the fact. I'm just glad I can still even participate in any of this type stuff.

First of all let me say I'm glad you survived. Folks are pretty tough. Few screws. Some glue. And you can put almost anyone back together again. Kind of amazing really.

I've been riding on and off since I could get my leg over a dirtbike. Always loved it. I did the typical 20's thing and bought a harley that I rode and loved. Lots of my friends have been riding a long time. Same with my dad's friends. Know more than a couple guys missing a foot or leg from putting their bike down due to stupid drivers. My ex used to get so frustrated at my road rage towards other drivers. I yell and get angry at people for what she thought of as small infractions. Changing lanes/sudden changes without signaling. Running lights. Following improperly. Etc etc. I always tried to tell her that it's those drivers that are careless about the small laws that cause the big accidents. And that if she was riding a bike and someone just moved over right in front of her it would give her something to yell about as well. She never did understand it. But for me I've seen a buddy get hit from behind on the tire and thrown 20 feet (thankfully onto a grass burm) by a ricer, who naturally didn't stop and raced off. Or a lady who sat at a blinking red and watched my buddy and I coming down the road for 2 blocks in the lane she needed. But waited until we were in the crosswalk before the intersection to pull out immediately in front of us. Had to swerve around her, a few taps on the glass to let her know that next time she better pay attention. So those little things bug me. And it's always amazing to me how people can be so oblivious of the way they drive and how it impacts others. Too many jerkoffs with their crackerjack license for my liking.

In any case, rant over, hope you are healed soon!

Glad you're okay.
Hopefully they catch the guy.

I about lost a cousin several years ago. He was passing a slow moving vehicle and didn't see the woman in the Chrysler mini van turning left. He hit her doing around 50mph. Messed himself up BIG time. Was in a coma for some time and ended up having to learn how to walk again on top of the multiple surgeries on his head, face, and limbs.

Well when my dad, who is not a young man, told me for a second he thought I was dead--a testament to how violent it looked--and then sacrificed himself to run out in traffic passing around us at 70-80 mph to basically save me, that was a rather eye-opening experience. Changes your perspective on life. My dad could have died trying to save me. The thought of that is a tough pill to swallow.

Glad to see your okay.

Real gear makes the difference. (Obviously hitting a car head on makes no difference) High visibility jacket, full face and boots.

Always chuckle at the non dot pudding bowl helmets here and t shirts.

-
Back