I think I broke it good...............

-

4 DOOR JUNKIE!

Reaction score
I just finished doing some work on my turd when I thought, "I think I'll take it for a ride now". Well after about 5 min the volt gauge started jumping all over the place. I had removed the alternator, and replaced it earlier.....the wire that goes to the gauge from the alternator was melted to the manifold. OH S**T I thought. The guage now is toasted.

Is this a separate gauge in the dash, or is it all one unit? If it is separate, does anyone know where I can get a used/new one?

Thank you all :thumbup:
!

I dont have the Quick link but most people change that amp guage to a voltmeter. With a few other upgrades. Dont worry it's nothing that cant be easily fixed. :angel9:

ive heard them amp gauges are serious fire hazards. not sure if thats true but i figured id throw that out there...

FIRST you need to figure out why your gauge was hopping around. Bad ground, dirty field connections at the alternator or the voltage regulator...If you just bypass it, you may just find yourself starting your engine to ~16v or higher and grenading something else if you leave it like that, or it being 'down' again..

4 DOOR JUNKIE! said:
I just finished doing some work on my turd when I thought, "I think I'll take it for a ride now". Well after about 5 min the volt gauge started jumping all over the place. I had removed the alternator, and replaced it earlier.....the wire that goes to the gauge from the alternator was melted to the manifold. OH S**T I thought. The guage now is toasted.

Is this a separate gauge in the dash, or is it all one unit? If it is separate, does anyone know where I can get a used/new one?

Thank you all :thumbup:
!

Fix the melted/shorted wire. The wire intermittently shorting will make the gauge jump around. The gauge may be just fine, that jumping is exactly what it should do if you are shorting the output of the alternator to the manifold.

Glad you did not need a fire extinguisher and melt down more of your car. :salute: :coffee2:

-
Back