I think this is my old Duster

-

MoparDart68

Reaction score
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/1911359393.html

Not sure if this is my old Duster or not, but looks pretty darn close. Car is located near where I sold it (10 miles away). Sold it 7 years ago for $3,000, new owner wanted to restore it for his 16 year old son. There are some minor differences in the engine compartment, but nothing drastic. Compare the photos.

*The 3 large sized images (2nd and 3rd row) are from when I had the car*

I don't know, $18,500 for a 318 car? I would expect that price for a restored number's matching 340 car, not this. Too bad there are only 4 photos, I would love to get a glimpse of the license plate. Thoughts?

looks like they gave it some fresh paint and are trying to make a very large profit, if its not the same car they are almost identical

Owner should at least have cleaned the crap out of the trunk before taking a trunk pic.

I'm not 100 percent sure this is my car, but everything looks like it is. Yeah, sounds like he's selling a nice paint job and a sound system, not a '71 Duster. Looks a little too cheby like in that engine compartment to me (phony braided hoses).

Nice car, but the guy is a JACKWAGON trying to get that kind of money out of it...

Ok, after talking with the previous owner (my Dad), I am now convinced this is my old Duster. The clincher is the trim running down the side of the car. Originally, the trim ran from the rear of the quarter all the way to the front of the fender. After a car backed into the Duster and crunched the hood and grill in the early 1980s, he had the car repainted. Now, the trimwork was a bit weathered, so my Dad decided to have it replaced while being painted. Apparently, the shop could not find the original style, so they decided to use some aftermarket generic trim (appearance wise, it is almost identical). For some reason, this trim only went about half-way across the front fender (above the center of wheel well)--see photos. This is rather unique, and the chances of someone else having this same type of trim are unlikely.

Now, I apologize to the seller if this really isn't my old car, but here is some history on the vehicle.

It had 274,000 miles when I sold it. The engine was replaced back in 1991, not a rebuild. Between 1991 and 2003, I'm not exactly sure how many miles were put on the 318, but 74,000 seems to be a fair estimate. I didn't drive the car very much from 1999 to 2003, only to work (1/4 away, and school, 2 miles away) and back. Transmission (A904) rebuilt in 1996-97. I finally got sick of trying to fix it up, seeing as I was just starting college, didn't have time anymore.

Still, this car looks cool, but it's definitely not worth 18.5K. I would love to go over and take a look at it with some buddies of mine.

I would say that it is indeed the same car.
I also think that if thats worth 18K then thats great ! Makes mine worth about 40K !!! Woot !

-RPM

Heck id bet money its the same car. The sticker on top of the air conditioning compressor is identical, Radiator cap is identical, and how often do you see one that shape? Its a manual brake car. And i think what seals the deal is the vaccum thing that goes on the firewall thats missing. yeah its easy to take off but most people just leave it rather than having a hole.

also did you leave any drugs in the car? looks like the new owner got a hold of some.

Yeah, the vacuum thing on the firewall is also a good sign. Same valve covers, air cleaner, spark plug wires.

Well, my brother just sent me some photos he received from the owner of the Duster. It is my old car! The license plate clinches it. The paint looks absolutely stunning compared to when I had it. Those bucket seats are from an old Mitsubishi Eclipse, the seller had them re-upholstered. My brother found them at a wrecking yard back in 2001.

The only problem I have with this car is the fact that it is not original and not a 340 car. To get a high price like 18.5K, the car should appear exactly as it did off the lot, and be fully documented. No aftermarket garbage on the car, etc.

Appraised at $22,000? Who did the appraising?? I need to see this car in person. Perhaps, if I tell the seller the car was in my family from 1971 - 2003, then just maybe he/she will make an exception.

Here are the photos the seller emailed my brother:

LOVING the barefoot gas pedal. So "Joe Dirt."

FWIW: Obviously now you know this is your old car, but this is not the first time I have seen the side molding "come up short." Whoever did my '67 Dart (before I had it) did it even shorter.

Oh, reading between the lines here:

Am I right in figuring that this car was repainted by the previous owner with the molding in place? For shame.

LOVING the barefoot gas pedal. So "Joe Dirt."

FWIW: Obviously now you know this is your old car, but this is not the first time I have seen the side molding "come up short." Whoever did my '67 Dart (before I had it) did it even shorter.

Lol, Joe Dirt.

The molding coming up short, I did not know that, thanks for the correction.

Oh, reading between the lines here:

Am I right in figuring that this car was repainted by the previous owner with the molding in place? For shame.

I sold the car with the molding. The buyer, who is now most likely the current seller, had the car repainted and kept the molding. That's surprising, maybe he liked the look?

Lol, Joe Dirt.

The molding coming up short, I did not know that, thanks for the correction.

Oh, that was not intended to be any kind of correction. It was an attempt at humor in acknowledged the short length on the fender. On my car, it was the typical vinyl roll trim. The installer could have made it any length, but chose to do that. On every original car I have seen, it extends to the front of the fender.

That was (and is) a nice car, by the way. Maybe not $18.5k in the current economy, but it's something I'd be super proud to drive.

Is it not good that the value is up? I got 30 grand into my Signet, do you think I should ask 5000 when I sell it just to make everyone here happy?

Is it not good that the value is up? I got 30 grand into my Signet, do you think I should ask 5000 when I sell it just to make everyone here happy?

The craigslist listing has expired, and we don't know if it sold, or for how much. But the value of something is what someone is willing to pay for it, plain and simple.

I was at a show yesterday, where someone had a 75 Dart 2dr hardtop with an asking price of $10k. Repainted, and dyed bench interior, and slant 6. I don't think that car is worth 10k, but if someone pays that, then I'm wrong, not the seller or buyer.

I would love to drive that car again. I still have dreams about driving it and hearing that motor scream. Now, I can dream and drive it with a nice paint job, lol. I would really like to go over there and check it out, but I'm not a serious buyer, which may turn off the seller.

The craigslist listing has expired, and we don't know if it sold, or for how much. But the value of something is what someone is willing to pay for it, plain and simple.

I was at a show yesterday, where someone had a 75 Dart 2dr hardtop with an asking price of $10k. Repainted, and dyed bench interior, and slant 6. I don't think that car is worth 10k, but if someone pays that, then I'm wrong, not the seller or buyer.

Great point, it's all about what price the buyer and seller agree upon.

You are too considerate. So many tire kickers out there have no qualms about wasting the sellers time. You have much more of a reason to see it than them. If I was selling the car, I'd love to show it to you (but I would probably not be asking that price, either).

So what's the deal with the back seat? If I'm not mistaken it's totally different between the two cars. IMO it's easier to conceive of two cars having similarly short fender trim than somebody who would use the matching barefoot gas and high beam pedals doing a reupholstery job.

So what's the deal with the back seat? If I'm not mistaken it's totally different between the two cars. IMO it's easier to conceive of two cars having similarly short fender trim than somebody who would use the matching barefoot gas and high beam pedals doing a reupholstery job.

When I sold the car, the back seat was not re-upholstered (still original yellowish-white). I never got around to doing it because I didn't have the money :cry:

The photos I provided at the beginning of the post are 7 years apart. The top four (small ones) are the most recent (seller took these). The 3 large photos are from 2003, when I had the car.

-
Back