I thought it was an A body rear end?

-

68barracuda

Reaction score
Well I assembled and painted and man it looks great.
To bad the spring mounts are on the top of the housing.....
WTF??? The perch to perch is 43" and flange to flnge is around 57 1/2"
Is this from a van or what??

The width spacings you posted match up to a 71 - 74 B Body, but with the perches on top of the tubes, it probably came from a truck or van. What type of rear end is it - 8 1/4, 8 3/4?? The A Body spacing for an 8 3/4 is 51.8" and 43" perch to perch. If the purchase price was right, and it's exactly the rearend you want for your A Body, you could always get it narrowed, but it would be probably cheaper to find another A Body unit. Hope this helps.

thanks for the info.
I welded in new mounts in the correct postion and installed it.
I posted some pics here , also one of the 400 I just freshened up.
Do you think it is to wide?

Some food for thought.... They never built any A-body rearends with the big bolt circle. If you've got one with the big pattern then it was either modified, (aftermarket axles or redrilled flanges) or it's not out of an A-body.

klrfish1968 said:
Some food for thought.... They never built any A-body rearends with the big bolt circle. If you've got one with the big pattern then it was either modified, (aftermarket axles or redrilled flanges) or it's not out of an A-body.

You must be speaking of just the 8.75, because the 73+ 8.25's were BBP.

Those tires are gettin' out there, but a wheel with more backspacing would suck them back under the body again. You're making some really good progress on that machine. :)

Thanks, I plan on having it runnin this month then I'll need to do the interior.

-
Back