I, too, have gone to the dark side...

-

metallidart

member me?
Reaction score
Hope nobody hates me for it. I still have my 1973 Dart Sport, and my neice is still named Hemi. (seriously.) But...

Long story short, I've wanted a 4wd truck for a while. An 80's Ram with a long bed and 360, to be exact. Around here, you can't find one cheap (and I mean "cheap on a budget centered on having 6 kids). So, I offered my cherry 218k mile 1996 Monte Carlo to a coworker for his 1986 Chevy 1/2 ton 4wd. It has a 305/700r4, 3.42 gears, 33-12.5/15 tires, but its a little beat up. A REALLY heavy duty wooden bed, needs rockers, bottoms of the doors are rusted out, fenders have holes, inner fenders are holy, etc. But the frame is nice, floors are good, most of the cab is good. Runs and drives great. All I had in the Monte was $450, and he traded, even-up. He just found me a hood, passenger door, and mint bed, for $250. I found a low-mile, complete and guaranteed to be good (we all know how that will probably turn out) 400 sb for $400. I'm going to try my hand at doing some interior work myself (recovering the dash with vinyl/heat gun/spray adhesive, doing the headliner, installing a factory style seatcover and an aftermarket butt warmer), and it will give me a chance to practice my welding before I start on my Dart Sport.

Its really not a bad truck. It drives nice, and runs suprisingly well. I kind of like it...don't hate me! Should I fix it up and drive it, or should I just put it together, flip it, and find a Dodge? To be honest, this truck rides much better than the other Dodges I have owned. I just always told myself I didn't want to own a chevy, let alone a truck.

What to do?

One last tidbit...I have ocd and adhd. I'm liable to start on this, and the Dart will go on the back burner while this snowballs out of control. I do it every time. It is nice to take a break from one and work on another sometimes though. Aaahhhh! I don't know what to do.

Sounds like you are trading a cherry car for someone's headache.

I guess I should say...when I said cherry, it was with ALOT of sarcasm. It would stall for no reason, fuel pump was installed by the PO with no rubber oring, so it was noisy, and it actually went out on the way home from trading me. Tires were shot, holes in the body, wiring was so corroded in the engine compartment fuseboxes that the fuses pulled apart and the blades stayed in the terminals. Cracked windsheild, side glass consisted of plastic of taped plastic. Definitely not cherry lol.

-
Back