I want a Harley some day

-

ESP47

Reaction score
I used to never really care about bikes at all but I was at this guy's house not too long ago and he had this old school 50's Harley panhead that I fell in love with. I've never had a bike so I'd have to go take the class and get certified and all that, but I was wondering what the story was with old bikes. Kinda like how our mopars have pros and cons, what are the pros and cons of older Harley's?

I really like the way this bike sits. I wouldn't want the ape hangers to be so high but I love the way the rest of it looks. I'm guessing it wouldn't be the most comfortable thing on long rides but I don't plan on doing much of that. Are these old rides really expensive to fix up? I've been trying to do some research but it seems like prices are all over the place and I don't really know exactly what I'm looking at anyway. I was just wondering what your opinions were on older bikes.

http://www.streetchopperweb.com/features/0710_stcp_1965_harley_davidson_panhead/photo_02.html

Figure $10K to end up about like that if you want it reliable. $5K for ridable but not reliable. $2K for a bucket of parts and a frame with questionable title.

That's assuming assembly labor is on you, but you're farming out machine work.

Like anything else price is subject to many factors. Location is huge as is condition.

If you have the skills and desire to build/repair it can be done relatively cheaply (as mentioned above 5k'ish). If you pay someone else to do all the work or want a bike in show room condition be prepared to pay! One good thing about old bikes is that the surface area of pant usually isn't signfacant (tanks and sdecovers etc) so the body/paint work isn't too bad. Chroming on the other hand can get up there...as can finding original exhausts etc.

Dennis

You'll still have an over priced slow, vibrating piece of crap when you're done, don't bother. A swingers club is cheaper and much more fun...

I don't think there is such a thing as an old reliable Harley. Hell, mines a 2006 that I ride daily and it needs work all the time.

Hey esp before you buy a harley try to ride as many types of bikes you will find one that fits start there.

and oh yeah I ride a 2001 Harley Dyna low rider.and i love it!!!!!

Attachments

• 2001 dyna low rider.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 392
  • 2001 dyna lowerider.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 379
Thanks guys, I really like that black and gold color scheme. I'm not concerned at all with making one look like a show bike. Like my Duster, I just want it to look nice and be reliable without spending a fortune. I'll spend my money on quality parts but I'm not going to worry too much about chrome and all that.

How is working on a bike? Is it a completely different world I need to start learning about or do a lot of things carry over from working on cars? I want to be able to do most of the labor myself and I'm not in a rush anyway so I have plenty of time to research.

I put together a 77 shovelhead. Had about 5k in the whole thing but I got a smokin' deal on the bike. Working on them sucks without that hydraulic table you see on the shows,cuz you always working near ground level. J&S is a good company to deal with for parts. I put in electronic ignition on mine and it was very reliable once the carb was sorted. If you can work on a car, then you can work on an old bike. Get a service manual....

How come many backfire ? Was Harley's everywhere last week in Niagara, all going slow and many were backfiring every so often.

Are exhaust leaks by the head common ?

I used to have a 1950 pan that was very similar to the one pictured. I often think that if the owners of newer bikes had to kick start their bikes, they would likely be riding hondas.

Here's my 50 Panhead chopper. I got mine for $6500 many years ago. Made many improvements, 2 enigne rebuilds, 2 transmission rebuilds, and I've got about $20K in it now. I don't ride it as much as I used to, but I can't bring myself to sell it since it's rare to see a Pan anymore.

You'll find one; they're still out there. I saw one a few weeks ago for $12K that looked similar to the one in the picture. I'm hoping to build a Knuckle someday, if my back holds out long enough.

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_0035.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 361
As much as I hate saying it, they're over priced old technology. you're paying for a name. If you're just wanting something to ride and have fun on look at a metric, they may not be american, but any more, neither are harleys... I had a 1996 kawasaki vulcan 1500 classic that ALWAYS got mistakin for a H-D. Vulcan badges were apparant every where on that bike too. You can find a good used one for 3 grand and be waayyyyyyyy ahead on dollars spent vs. a H-D. And most of the H-D accessories fit the metrics too.

Old technology my ***, Here is my 2011 CVO Convertable Softail.

Attachments

• 000_1186 (600 x 400).jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 349
  • 000_1184 (600 x 400).jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 354
Sweet f,ing pan Brad. Nice work.

Thanks daredevil.

ESP47,

Don't listen to the stuff about getting a foreign bike and attempting to polish it. We could all buy old Honda, Mazda, Nissan and Toyota vehicles to drive as well since they are cheaper to purchase than our MOPARS. You can justify anything if you want to, but you still end up with what it is.

If you want an old Harley, don't settle for less.

Just keep in mind how far you will ride when you chose your bike. Are going to just ride it bar to bar? Joy ride just on the weekends? Or are you going to ride it on long trips to see the country? Harleys tend to vibrate because of the V-twin engines and have loud pipes in which both of those combined will eventually fatigue the body on long trips much faster than and smooth running bike with a somewhat quiet exhaust. I own a 2010 Triumph Rocket III Roadster in which it has 2300cc (140 cubic inch) engine with three cylinders. The three cylinder has no vibration. The bike has a quite exhaust to it until it is hammered. It is a comfortable bike to ride on long trips. It has plenty of power as well.

If you want to "fit in" with the Harley crowd then you will have to ante up. I chose not to go into that world.... that's not who I am. Besides.....Harleys are slow anyways! lol

Check this out

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xILxGC6zHwQ"]Triumph Rocket III Roadster - YouTube[/ame]

I've driven a 2012 Harley not long ago...what a nice bike! Not sure the style..mabye a road glide. Not full dress but did have a windshield and bags. About a month ago my buddy loaned me his custom duece..it was a beast. He had the motor built up pretty good. That thing would get up and go. What a hot rod. Guess I'm getting older I like the comforts of a windshield now...little easier on the body. SuperGlide for me. :)
I use to ride nothing but metrics but humpty dumps have came a long way baby.

now that beast of a harley my friend had the sadistic metal handle grips on it...and even though I had gloves on, it took a while for my hands to stop tingling. He has 63K miles on this bike...and his wife has rode most of these miles with him...I told her she was TOUGH!
Now my brother rides a Metric Kawasaki Drifter 99 1500cc and it is a really nice bike too. He pulls a small tear drop trailor with it and it really POs the HD guys when he is hauling all their gear and still gets better MPG.
Yep if you want to ride cheap...the metrics are the way to go.

ESP47, old bikes are like old cars- depends how it was maintained.
Take the motorcycle safety class, and you will become familiar on 250cc bikes most likely.
Your first bike shouldn't be a speed machine or something with a huge engine, or heavy bike- something under 500cc to master your technique and saddle time on...just my opinion.

What is that metric gonna be worth in 5 or 10 years?I,d bet Brads apreciates instead of depreciates. Something the metrics wont do.Too many Harley copys.Marland you bloody Limey. I love those rocket 3,s. Not what i,d consider a metric.Wish I had one for long cruises.

I used to have a 1950 pan that was very similar to the one pictured. I often think that if the owners of newer bikes had to kick start their bikes, they would likely be riding hondas.
:finga:

There was this couple on 2 huge Harley's, the guy was driving his just fine but the chick was having some trouble in stop and go traffic late at night. No way she could had kick started her bike !

Bike riding isn't for everybody and not those heavy new Harley's. Good luck trying to kick right one of those bikes if its on the way down.

As a teen I had a 175 cc bike--was an on road-off road bike. I had a blast with it. Was perfect for me, geared for a top speed of 65 mpg and lots of kick for a little 175 motor. Lived by some awesome off road trails--was out there most everyday...there was even a big old stolen station wagon way out there. Used to climb on the roof and chill, those were the no worry days

ESP47, old bikes are like old cars- depends how it was maintained.
Take the motorcycle safety class, and you will become familiar on 250cc bikes most likely.
Your first bike shouldn't be a speed machine or something with a huge engine, or heavy bike- something under 500cc to master your technique and saddle time on...just my opinion.

No I agree and for some of us, we should never upgrade.

At the time I really wanted one of those new 600 cc bikes--was the largest on--off road bike Honda made in 1980. I would had killed myself with it, I just know it

-
Back