I went shopping at a yard sale...

-

cudak888

1-Baker-11
Reaction score
The best kind of yard sale. No kidding either, a few of these bits were at the sale, and a few questions yielded the rest. Turns out the fellow raced IMSA GT from '77-87.

9a1ddt.jpg

8wy3jk.jpg

For better or worse, it's almost all Chevy stuff, but I sure as hell had fun when this popped out of nowhere.

-Kurt

Digging the gold moroso valve covers man. That and a set of T bars and you are on your way to the 80's!

I created a complete Flickr page documenting these parts. Not many pictures of this stuff out there:

Vintage Small Block Chevy speed parts, et. al.

I also went back today and picked these little buggers up.

Hurst Airheart brake calipers by cudak888, on Flickr

Vintage Wilwood Gold Anodized 6-Piston Brake Caliper by cudak888, on Flickr

Uh, maybe not so little.

t9y43s.jpg

That's a Hurst Airheart 02-1257 on the left. Seems to have been a popular caliper on the racing circut back in the day. I also paid $20 for it, which is not too far off from what they go for on eBay; they don't really appear to be popular at all.

The restored French Hemi 'Cuda and 'Cuda Trans-Am cars are said to have used these Airhearts - under 15" rims, no less. I checked the 15's on my Satellite, and I somehow doubt they'd clear. The racing rims probably have better clearance or offset.

On the right is a less-massive, but thoroughly and wonderfully NUTS early Wilwood 6-piston caliper; probably an early ancestor of the W6A. It seems to be unused and does not have the original pistons. Strangely enough, the internet has exactly ZERO information about this caliper online.

And, for the heck of it, here's a comparison of the 4-piston Hurst Airheart against the single piston rear caliper on a Kia Sorento. And yes, the Airheart, loaded with old NOS pads on both sides, clears the entire Kia rotor AND dust shield.

n5ngcl.jpg

This will probably be the first and last time in human history we will ever see an Airheart on a Sorento. And I won't shed a single tear about that.

-Kurt

Last edited:
-
Back