I will not pay for work before it is done.

-
Thats what they were saying to many people not picking up parts. Hard for me to understand that, but guess it could be true.

I just don't like the balance of power by paying first. Seems to be a bad position for the customer and thats why in most cases I won't do it.

I understand nobody wants to loose any money but there are risk for both the business and customer in most all transactions. However if you pay first then all the risk is shifted to the customer or at least thats the way I see it.

That's the way they see it also.
I would tell them to F off, if they had my parts and wanted all money up front.
Although, I would return for my parts and pay for the work too.
Too many people tend to slack if they have already gotten paid.

I have had no issues with the Yukon axles. I think it is 133 each. I'm sure I bought mine off ebay for $89 each. I run mine at the track with slicks and have had no problem.

Here's another question. How much $$ do they *really* have invested in your parts by the time you don't come back and pick them up?

They aren't actually out very much if you don't come back. If they can't tolerate that level of risk, they should put up their shingle and go work for someone else.

Here's another question. How much $$ do they *really* have invested in your parts by the time you don't come back and pick them up?

They aren't actually out very much if you don't come back. If they can't tolerate that level of risk, they should put up their shingle and go work for someone else.

I would think less than $50 in my case

Biggest problem here in California they probably have to wait 30 days to lien sale the parts.

I had work done on my boat engine not long ago,local guy wanted 1/2 of estimated
Price up front, I said thats kinda strange you have my motor, he pointed
Over in a corner several motors they never came back for them. Labor and parts in
Them and can't sell them without written notice and a given time . So sometimes it's a catch 22. That's a tough one
Moe

Pay first no incentive for them to finish them up.How much they gonna lose if you dont come back? One hour labor but they have your parts? cmon get real. No friggin way I would pay first.

pay in advance...............has this stooge looked around and noticed the economic state of the nation??? you do the work......then i inspect and approve and then i pay for services rendered.....

Local machine shop has my extra slant 6 head to do some work on - install oversize valves, new guides, springs, etc. mild port and shave the head. When it's ready, I come inspect it and then pay for services rendered. Pretty simple.

I refuse to pay in advance my opinion is if your in busness then you should be able to provide a service to the customer without an advance, i agree that there is a chance that the busness owner will get screwed but in the automotive busness there are mechanics leans besides the busness owner took a gamble by opening a busness in the first place,i have heard the horror storys of fellas dropping off their cars for a resto and the place going under,selling their parts from their cars,or selling their cars and disapearing, i don't trust anyone any more,i do some side work occasonally i have you buy the parts and you pay me labor after i'm done if i messup one of your purchased parts i replace it out of my pocket i also give a 30 day warrenty on installation not the parts,have never had a return for warrenty, just more work.

I never pay first, anymore. Paid up front, waited for my 327 block and heads for months. He used every excuse in the book (I think he had 4 mothers die). So I took an Old timers advice and call the guy up.
ME "Hey, do you have my block and heads ready? "
HIM "No, I lost power for three days because of a NIPSCO outage, but I would have if not for that!"
Me " wow, that sucks. I was really hoping to get the motor back together while I am on vacation next week" HIM "I am so behind, don't think I can make next week."
ME "It is really important to me, I'll throw you a extra $150 if you can have it ready on Monday"
HIM "Really? I guess if I came in and worked Sunday I could have it ready!"
ME "OK, great ,see ya then".
I went there on the following Monday loaded my finished block and heads and got ready to leave. He stopped me and asked about the extra $150 so I told him, "Damnest thing happened on the way to the bank, all of my mothers died and the bank lost power so they can't get me any money, but check with me next week!" He got the idea real quick and just walked away. I really hated to be that way but sometimes you have to fight fire with fire! No more cash up front! Ever!

And the worse the economy gets, the more we will have to fight fire with fire.
I noticed people trying harder to get more for less in my business awhile back (years) and have had to eat a job on occasion.
Thing is, I will hand the person thier money back if I think the person is being unreasonable about the job.
I would rather let them be the lowlife that sells thier honor.

I never pay first, anymore. Paid up front, waited for my 327 block and heads for months. He used every excuse in the book (I think he had 4 mothers die). So I took an Old timers advice and call the guy up.
HIM "No, I lost power for three days because of a NIPSCO outage, but I would have if not for that!"
Me " wow, that sucks. I was really hoping to get the motor back together while I am on vacation next week" HIM "I am so behind, don't think I can make next week."
ME "It is really important to me, I'll throw you a extra $150 if you can have it ready on Monday"
I went there on the following Monday loaded my finished block and heads and got ready to leave. He stopped me and asked about the extra $150 so I told him, "Damnest thing happened on the way to the bank, all of my mothers died and the bank lost power so they can't get me any money, but check with me next week!" He got the idea real quick and just walked away. I really hated to be that way but sometimes you have to fight fire with fire! No more cash up front! Ever!
Thanks, I needed a good laugh this evening.:thumblef:

Guess what it boils down to, is do it thier way or express your feelings and take you business else where. They will eventually get the hint or go out of business.
Moe

Is that a local shop? please send me a PM so I dont go there.

-
Back