ID this stuff for me

-

cuda65vpt

cuda65vpt
Reaction score
I have a 318 poly engine
image013.jpg
image014.jpg

casting number found on the front right below the head "2264?70" with a big "3" above it. ? looks like a 3 to me but could be a 8
image015.jpg

casting on the right side below the exhaust manifold "12 3 62"
image016.jpg

engine had a fourbarrel intake
image017.jpg

and big Holly carb with a stack of adaptors when I got it. casting number on the intake is "1619826"
image018.jpg

I can’t read those numbers below that starts with a 1. might be the firing order, since I don’t see that anywhere else on the intake.

All four barrels are nearly the same size ports.
I found a 500cfm Carter that seems to fit it perfectly.

so what does a 318 poly have to do with Early A-bodies?? ;)

This engine will not fit in a 1963-66 Valiant,
nor a 1963-66 Dart, or 64-66 Barracuda.

It will however fit in a pickup truck, and makes a nice
engine for an early 60's truck. :)

Looks to me like you have a 1963 318 Poly with a spare 4 barrel intake. You would be surprised at the parts that will interchange from the LA series. Mopar Muscle took one of these out to 432" and had a 450 HP stock looking Poly in a Belvedere. The key component to this madness was a Mopar Performance 4" stroker crank for the LA smallblock. These A engines are getting hard to find. Good score.

Has anybody tried to put one in an early A? I've driven this motor and it had lots of power. I also have a nice 65 Barracuda project that I can't get the 273 to run yet. I don't want to do any alteration to make it fit but if it will go in the Barracuda, I'll keep it. If it won't then it's up for sale.

Why would you want to put one in an early A when you can just put in an LA 318 ? Way easier and you get the same results.

If you want to find out more info about the poly or whether it can even fit an early A Body, you might check over at the poly group on yahoo. Their address is [email protected]

Looks to me like you have a 1963 318 Poly with a spare 4 barrel intake. You would be surprised at the parts that will interchange from the LA series. Mopar Muscle took one of these out to 432" and had a 450 HP stock looking Poly in a Belvedere. The key component to this madness was a Mopar Performance 4" stroker crank for the LA smallblock. These A engines are getting hard to find. Good score.

I've got a running Poly 318 in a 63 Polara parts car for sale if you know anyone interested in it. Engine and trans only not the car.
Ed

The 273 LA engine was designed to fit in the Early Abody,
because the 318 Poly WILL NOT FIT.

http://u225.torque.net/cars/dodgedart/press/press64d.html

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/318.html

The A was produced from 1955 through 1966, the LA from 1964 on; the LA was a modified version, with the most obvious difference between the lightweight (hence "L"A) or thin-wall casting and heads. The difference, about 50 pounds overall, was significant enough; but the LA was also considerably smaller, so that the 273 (the first LA) could be stuffed into the small Valiant engine compartment. The A engines' poly heads were wider and heavier than the LA's wedge-shaped combusion chamber; the LA's valves were simpler too, saving money and size. In the end, the 273 was only about fifty pounds heavier than the slant six!

Bill Watson wrote: "The LA 273 used the poly (A) 318 crankshaft, bearings, bearing caps, vibration damper, and conecting rods. The 273 and 318 both had a 3.31" stroke. Pistons were different, though, as the LA bore was smaller; and camshafts could not be shared due to the different valve arrangements. They did share a timing chain."

-
Back