Ideal amount of oil for a /6

-

FreeSandwiches

Broken Record
Reaction score
I've got a 225, just finished a build and am getting ready to crank it. What is the ideal amount of oil. Also do y'all have a preference on oil type?

5 Quarts w/ empty filter. 10-30 break in oil of your choice. Or be bold like me and start it off with Mobil One. Its ALL I use for new mills anymore. I add a can of GM EOS to it for the ZDDP cam break in.
Frank

My 1965 owner's manual calls for 4.5 quarts (imperial) with a new filter, which translates to 5.4 quarts (US).

Once it's broken it, I would use a low viscosity heavy duty engine oil like 10W-30. We can get 0W-30 in Canada but I don't think this grade is readily available in the USA. One of the guys on slantsix.org has been using M1 0W-30 AFE and has been quite pleased with it (see Oil Question).

ACCCC Engine Oil Article

The latest Starburst oils (ILSAC GF-4) contain up to 800 ppm of phosphorus, which is a component of ZDDP. The phosphorus limit doesn't depend on whether the oil is conventional or synthetic.

Why would you use synthetic on the break in?
Rug I dont have any problems with ring seal. And I really think a lot of wear comes from start-up. I think we shuold put the best oil in for the worst case. Because it soo slick I just believe the sythetic is the best oil for the job. Ive done a few cam changes on my engines and there were no wear marks at all.
I picked the tip up from another BB drag racer about 10 years ago. Started doing it in my tractors and smaller engines. And here I am.
Frank

Mobil suggests that Mobil1 can be used for break-in:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Myths.aspx

I'm not sure if the break-in for a new engine is the same as rebuilt engine but your success with break-ins with synthetics seems to confirm Mobil's suggestion. It probably wouldn't make any difference if you used a high quality conventional oil for the first fill and switched to synthetic afterward.

Mobil suggests that Mobil1 can be used for break-in:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Myths.aspx

Yes, Mobil 1 is factory fill on many new cars. Read the fine print, it says "The fact is, current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period." Even though I rebuilt the 318 in the Demon recently, I don't consider it to reflect current engine manufacturing technology.

My engine builder friends say that the rings will seat quicker with conventional oils. If I wanted to go to synthetic, I should wait for the first regularly scheduled oil change. I'm following their advice.
:snakeman:

-
Back