Ideal ATF Temp?

-

GoodysGotaCuda

Mr. Goody
Reaction score
I have a 3000rpm converter in my daily driver. It's driven in the 110* heat out here in vegas. I currently have two trans coolers, one in front of the radiator. The other in a fenderwell with a electric fan on it.

Right now the fan is on a manual on/off switch. I already have a painless 185* on/170* off relay/temp sender deal that i didnt end up using. Would that be ok temps for the fan to turn on? Too high?

Thanks in advance.
-MIke

Mrmopartech said:
If you can keep the temps on the tranny cooler between 160-180,you will be doing good,Mrmopartech

So in other words, the 185* on and 170* off thermostat i have should work fine?

The bigger cooler in front of the radiator should keep things pretty cool, the one in the fenderwell is a auxilry just incase the front cooler cant keep up...so if 160-180 is good...then 185 for the aux cooler to start cooling, then stop at 170* sounds like it'd work out well.

Thanks.
-Mike

The allison truck automatics that I work on use the same dexron III fluid as cars and even with large coolers the fluid runs 200 degrees and in the summer reaches up to 300 on the trucks with retarders on them. Allison says this is okay and if we change it yearly we have no problems. So 170-180 is okay but the fluid will be okay even if it gets up to 225-250 and there also is synthetic dexron which can take 330 temps.

-
Back