Identify Torque Converter?

-

JefftheComputerMan

Reaction score
I just pulled my 318 (mild hotrod) and am trying to ID my torque converter. There are only two numbers on the round side stamped 5058.

100406 paint stamped on round side. A 10 stamped into metal on flat side and handwritten 359 on center ring of flat side (looks to be written in "like" glue) See pics,

I need to know what this is to see if it's correct for my setup and / or correct it now with the engine out.

Attachments

• tc1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 395
  • tc2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 270
  • tc4.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 424
  • tc5.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 297
  • tc6.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 266
  • tc3.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 293
Subscribed...I have never seen anything definitive describing how to gauge the stall of one. So Im hoping/watching and hopefully learning LOL

Whats the tranny??

i've googled the crap out of these numbers, is it a custom build? Engine is in shop, will be a while before I can flash stall test it, and then I have to remove the damn thing if it's wrong.:violent1:

Any help?:banghead:

Just by the dia of the converter its for sure a lower stall. depending upon what its behind i bet with a 318 it dont stall higher than 1800 tops.

This is a rebuilt converter(by whom I don't know), but the hand painted "359" tells me that it is for a 1967 to 1977 318, 383, 400 engine with a steel crank. It is rated as a medium stall. Depending on the engine in front, the stall speed is probably 1800 and up, but for sure not much more than maybe 2200.

Depending on how much you're going to improve the engines performance it may or may not be right for your setup. High stalls (anything over 25-2700 stall) must be made for YOUR APPLICATION IMHO. Get the engine/diff ratio/tire combination first, then go for the converter. If you want, I can email you a spec sheet we used at the converter shop I used to work at. Just send me a PM with your home email address and I'll be happy to send it to you.

Do it right ONCE

Just by the dia of the converter its for sure a lower stall. depending upon what its behind i bet with a 318 it dont stall higher than 1800 tops.

When you say Diameter, are you talking the outer ring, or are you talking the bell??
Sorry to hijack

When you say Diameter, are you talking the outer ring, or are you talking the bell??
Sorry to hijack

Chrysler stock OEM converters with the 1/2" ring gear are typically the 12" diameter converter and the ones with the larger ring gear, 1", are 11" converters. This diameter is usually measured from the inside of the converter pump (rear of the converter, hub side). After market high stalls of course will have a ring gear of a different size.

-
Back