Identifying a 360

-

Pyro4117

Jay
Reaction score
I went to a local Pick-A-Part yard the other day to get a small part for my daughter's car. I wandered the yard for a while looking for other items of possible interest for my Barracuda, but haven't had much luck with Mopar stuff at this yard before.

I found an '84 full sized Dodge van with what appeared from the exhaust manifolds (the BIG ones with a center outlet and 'fins') to be a 360. I didn't have a lot of time and was dressed for a meeting, so didn't crawl in to check the block (displacement is supposed to be stamped on the lower left front of the block, correct?), but IIRC, those manifolds were only used on the 360's?

Plus, the intake (which I would have replaced anyway) and some other parts (front cover and timing chain) were gone, so they will sell it as is for $100! I had almost talked myself out of a 360 and just rebuilding my 318, but for $100 the 360 may return to the front burner!

The galley and front of the engine where parts were gone looked almost new, so, I guess I'm just trying to confirm it's worth a trip back to double check that it is a 360 and grab it.

Sound worthwhile?

Thanks

Jay

Don't know for sure about the stamped number you mentioned, but there is a number cast in the side of the block slightly above and behind the starter. The last 3 digits of this number is the displacement of the engine. It's a lot easier to see on a greasy block than a stamping. Hope this helps.

grumpuscreature said:
Don't know for sure about the stamped number you mentioned, but there is a number cast in the side of the block...

My bad! Poor phrasing on my part...yes, I meant the cast-in #, not stamped.

Went back and looked, it was a 318, not a 360 :-(

So, I'll keep looking...

Jay

To ID a 360 look for an offset weight on the harmonic balancer, the 318 does not have the offset weight on it. This is the easiest way without having to crawl under a car.

Simple. look for a harmonic balancer that looks like this one in this picture, the trough or indent or whatever you want to call it only goes partway around it. Easy to spot.
1531713-360harmonicbalancer.jpg

-
Back