Identifying brakes

-

danielb927

Reaction score
I'd like to replace pads and rotors (and maybe drums) on my '73 Duster but don't really have a place to work on it, so I need a way to ID the brakes before ordering parts and making time at a shop. They're stock parts, as far as I can tell. How many different stock set-ups are out there?

The front has BBP spindles and single-piston calipers. I think they are the "floating" type - I have some pictures I can reference from doing suspension a few years ago. The car was a /6 originally so I'm guessing the front set-up was swapped in at some point to be BBP, but maybe that came stock too?

The back has a 7-1/4" rear-end with SBP hub (and bolt pattern adapters to BBP wheels). I haven't touched those drums except to figure out that the parking brake isn't hooked up.

Rallye wheels all around, will have to double-check their size if that's important. No power brake booster on the system.

Sources - I go to rock auto, Jegs, or Summit for most things, any other recommendations for brakes specifically?

Well, from a distance it looks like stock 73-76 disk brakes with the spindles switched left-to-right. The calipers originally were mounted forward of the upper ball joint. Pads, calipers rotors (10.87") stayed the same pretty much from 73-87 on all RWD Mopars. Some B and R body cars had larger rotors (11.75"), and 73-75 A body had small piston calipers, which can be replaced with the 76-up parts (do both sides). You appear to have the more common "slider" type caliper as opposed to the "pin" type.

The rear axle probably has 10" brakes if it is SBP. But all of this is just a guess, as obviously something under your car isn't original, either front or rear. Never heard of a 7-3/4" axle...

Yes, things have been changed on your 73.

Looking at your brake pile, i see that you have a 65-72 sway bar tabbed lower control arm.

The best i can see of your spindle, and the appearance of that dust shield, and spindle, they look like "F" body Aspen, Volare brakes.

I would need to see a good front view of that spindle to confirm the shape, and style.

Take the dust shield off, and let me see what that spindle looks like, without the shield installed.
Jim V.

These are old pics from when I rebuilt the suspension. These days I'm parked in a parking lot with no way to raise the car and work on it, so I won't be able to get new pictures for quite a while, sorry. That's the best I can do for now.

-
Back