Identifying my engine

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
My Valiant is a 65 4-Door which originally should have had a 225. But when I was installing points today I noticed the stampings behind the coil. It says B 170 04 27. I came up with a April 27th, 1966 170CID. Is that correct? So my Valiant no longer has the correct engine. Even the carburetor number was from a 1962 170CID. Does everything fit the same except for the internal parts?

What makes you say the engine should be a 225? The "base" engine was a 170, with the 225 being optional.

Yes everything fits between the 170 and 225, except for the block, crank, connecting rods, and pushrods. Carburators will interchange, but the factory carb for the 170 standard shift was smaller the the 170 auto, and 225 stick and auto.

The one way to tell the difference between a 170 and a 225 is by the length of the bypass hose. If it is about 4 inch's it's a RG block or 225, and if the bypass hose is short or a bout 1.5 inches it's a 170. This is the little hose that goes at the front of the engine between the waterpump and the head.

The fender tag shows an A20 for the engine. I can tell that it has been changed out because all of the connections to the engine sending units and ignition have been cut like someone was too lazy to remove all the connections and just cut them at the connector.

measuring hoses is a good visual but that number is the best way to tell what engine you have. 225's will have the numbers 225 where the 170 is in your number. (added: the B indicates a date correct engine for your car here http://www.stockmopar.com/mopar-engine-casting-numbers.html )
The one way to tell the difference between a 170 and a 225 is by the length of the bypass hose. If it is about 4 inch's it's a RG block or 225, and if the bypass hose is short or a bout 1.5 inches it's a 170. This is the little hose that goes at the front of the engine between the waterpump and the head.

-
Back