Identity Theft.

-

ChazRam

1964 Valiant V200
Reaction score
Well, I never thought it would happen to me but it did. Its a indirect method but it worked. Someone got ahold of my wifes bank visa credit card numbers. It ties into our checking account. 32 transactions later we are TAPPED! It happened real quick and by the time I realized what was going on the damage was done. I noticed things were not balancing out and did a history at the bank. Somebody has been living large down Houston way on my dime. Between Kroger, Super Wal Mart, and few other stores this took place and the charges were 60 to 80 dollar range. Waiting on Visa and the bank to give me the word on how much I will be coverd for. Both mine and my wifes cards are gone now as the bank took them. The account is frozen. Just riding the storm out for this week. This really stinks!!
Chas.

oh...man that sucks...visa should cover it....hoping they do. Good luck!

Sorry to hear. I can only imagine the feeling. Let's hope these low-lifes were careless and got caught on camera.

that has happened to me 2 x in the last year-- just this last Friday-- the bank card had left a message on my phone & already placed a hold on my card. they said a local merchant's info had been compromised -- new cards are on the way---
it's a new world baby, Lawrence

I feel your pain, it's happened to me four times now. The last time the Pa State police got search warrents for the servers in Arizona, LosAngeles, Sydney Australia and tracked the origin to China where they could do nothing more. Visa should cover the whole thing they always have for me. Good Luck..you need to get in the habit of checking your balance regularly and balancing to your statements as soon as you get them..whenever I make a deposit I check my balance and if it doesn't sound right I ask for an interim statement which they print on the spot. Took 4 times for me to start doing this..never thought it could happen twice, three times..then 4 times..guess I'm a little slow on the uptake...
Good Luck...

I check all of my balances online daily. Also, thru my homeowner's insurance, I have identity theft protection. They supply a worker trained in clearing the problems created by identity theft to clear my name, should I get nailed, and also cover up to $35k in damages and stolen money, all for about $35/year.

FF

I check all of my balances online daily.
FF

This has been my way of doing in now for the past year or so.

I'll keep meticulus records on the account ledger with the checking and savings accounts and match that up with the banks ledger online. This allows me to see what's cleared, what's still, and keep an eye out for any suspicious activity.

My bank card was comprised by a local merchant about a year ago. When I got the letter saying that the bank had stopped my card and was issuing a new one, I was pretty thankful they were on the uptake.

Yup, happened to the wife a couple of months ago. $6,000 in charges we new nothing about. Credit card company covered it and issued a new card. Strange how they don't seem to go after these scumbags. Must figure it costs more to go after them than what they lose.

Jack

Back when I was going thru my divorce, I had one credit card with a $5000 limit that was always near the limit, due to the financial raping I was being put thru by the Dragon Lady. I bought something online, and the card was compromised, and they tried to buy something that was like $35, but there was no room on the card, and they tried to put it thru like 6 times in a half hour. The credit union with whom I have the card called me the next day and asked if that was me, and I said no, they killed the card and issued me a new one.

I have another card with a much higher limit and the company that issued the card called me one night and asked me if I tried to buy a $6000 car with the card, I said no, they also killed the card and issued me another.

I have only one card I use online now, and it's limit is really low, so if it does get compromised, there won't be much taken.

FF

Was reading some tips from the bank not too long ago on ID theft. Things like:

if you're able use a credit card online for purchases and not a bank card, since a bank card is tied to your account.

Don't sign the back of your card. Instead, write photo ID required.

If you pay your credit card bill through the mail, don't write your entire account number on the memo line of the check, just the last four digits. The credit card company can tell the account number from the last four and if a thief gets ahold of your check he won't have the entire credit card number.

When I first got into the Marine Corps back in 1992 any letters that were written to Marines had to have the Marines SSN written on the outside of the envelope!

How things have changed!

Best of luck getting your accounts cleaned up.

Same thing happened to my wife and I 2 weeks ago. Local supermarket chain's "security" was compromised apparently, suddenly 210 bucks was gone out of the account, drawn from a Walmart in Missouri of all places. (Doesn't sound like much I guess, but there's only about 500 in there at any one time, so it cut things pretty close that week) Got reimbursed, and a new card, but what a friggin PITA. :bootysha:

Personally, if I had my druthers, I'd keep all my assets in a quart Mason jar under the porch, but the world unfortunately doesn't work that way anymore..

-
Back