Idle air control on my F150

-
Well took it in to the Ford store, not good, looks like it could very well be the PCM. They are keeping it overnight as it was late in the day and they want to be a little more thorough with it. The other bad news is that they dont make the PCM anymore...it's a frickin 2001 WTH?? Looks like a wait and see thing, then they said they would be able to "flash" mine again or put a used one in. FACK!!

If you look at the center of the grill, and usually somewhere on the tailgate, the problem has an oval surrounding it, highlighted in blue. :D:D

Hope you get it worked out, and hope it's not the PCM. Does it have a distributor? If so, could be the pick-up plate.

Ya ya I know LOL they found the problem and circled it!! This truck has been the best truck/vehicle I have owned. 266,000 km's and the only major repair was the steering box. No dizzy...that I know of, it has COP, coil over plugs

Anyone have any recommendations for aftermarket PCM's?? Here is some info from Rock Auto's options

2001 FORD F-150 4.6L V8 SOHC : Electrical : Engine Control Module (ECM Computer) Wiki Price Core Total Alternate
A-1 CARDONE Part # 788491F Reman. A-1 CARDONE Engine Control Computer
with Module # MLC-496, 496A; Vehicle specific Flash programming req'd ON or OFF the vehicle.Accurate VIN and mileage are req'd. Additional vehicle specific on-car programming must be performed AFTER installation to prevent drivability and starting issues.

CAD$158.44 CAD$62.22 CAD$220.66
Add Part
A-1 CARDONE Part # 788498F Reman. A-1 CARDONE Engine Control Computer
with Module # MPC-141; Parameter Reset May Be Required After Install if Modified Vehicle; Vehicle specific Flash programming req'd ON or OFF the vehicle.Accurate VIN and mileage are req'd. Additional vehicle specific on-car programming must be performed AFTER installation to prevent drivability and starting issues.

CAD$177.11 CAD$72.59 CAD$249.70
Add Part
A-1 CARDONE Part # 788499F Reman. A-1 CARDONE Engine Control Computer
with Module # MPC-142; Parameter Reset May Be Required After Install if Modified Vehicle; Vehicle specific Flash programming req'd ON or OFF the vehicle.Accurate VIN and mileage are req'd. Additional vehicle specific on-car programming must be performed AFTER installation to prevent drivability and starting issues.

CAD$221.80 CAD$70.00 CAD$291.80
Add Part
A-1 CARDONE Part # 997803 [Engine Control Computer] Reman. - Return and Rebuild Service Only - By ordering this service you are agreeing to send your original part to the manufacturer to be rebuilt. Rebuild time is approximately 3-5 business days. You will be contacted with directions once the order is placed. For more information please contact Customer Service.
All Calibrations w/Module ID # MPC-142

CAD$236.32 CAD$0.00 CAD$236.32
Add Part

Thanks
Steve

Hey Steve,
I still have a hard time believing it is a computer...But if it is you are better off getting one from a salvage yard and having it re programed or flashed to your truck.You just need the numbers off yours to find a match.
The Ford F150's have a common problems with grounds that reap havoc on the computer sensors.With a poor ground strap from firewall to engine,they are known to eat heater cores due to electrolysis...or even a bad ground at the battery...
If a sensor is shorted it will rob 5v power supply to other sensors,For example the dpfe sensor is a known sensor to short out it is the sensor that monitors if your egr is working it has two rubber hoses that hook up to metal lines straight to the exhaust manifold on the drivers side...I unplug that and see how it runs..Of course I need to know more like what are the codes and why do they think it needs a computer?
I know it is at the Ford house...I could fix it if it was here !!!
Pm me with any info and tomorrow at work I try to respond...Call them for the codes that it has and I will tell you what I think it is !!!
Martin

Ya ya I know LOL they found the problem and circled it!! This truck has been the best truck/vehicle I have owned. 266,000 km's and the only major repair was the steering box. No dizzy...that I know of, it has COP, coil over plugs
No dizzy...It got a crank sensor behind the a/c compressor that requires pulling the serpentine belt taking the four bolts off the compressor and swing it out of the way to pull the crank sensor out with a/c hoses attached..
.and re-installing everything...Cake !!!
Another common problem...I NEED CODES !!!

Check the codes, i have 3 of these trucks and 2 lightnings have delt with just about all of their quirks. I can MOST LIKELY help you out.

Just let me know!

Thanks everyone for the help, really sucks as we are beyond broke. Dad has offered me his truck until I get s**t figured out. I should have checked this thread earlier, as I just got off the phone from the Ford doctor. Here is what he tells me.

PCM looks good as far as he can tell.
Tech took it for a road test again today and it stalled for him and rpms were all over the place.
It threw codes(I didnt get them but I will) What they told me about the codes is that they were tranny codes...Codes are VSS, vehicle speed sensor...and another one is TCC torque converter clutch solenoid. I will get the actual codes on Wednesday. Tonight Lori and I are going to see Theory of a Deadman they are a Canadian band playing in Peterborough tonight. I see Southern Comfort in my very near future LOL

Here is the remedy they have told me so far...
Drop the tranny pan and inspect filter for metal etc. ( Dad and I recently did the journey to Colorado...5200kms to pick up dads cuda and we replaced filter/oil, it was fine)

After inspecting filter if no metal present, drop the valve body to get access to the Torque converter solenoid. Check solenoid for resistance and a leakdown/compression test????

Then chk vehicle speed sensor, I believe its located by the tq...by the sounds of it I dont need to remove tranny for any of this. I will get the codes Thursday from the dealership. Thanks again everyone for the help...I will post more Thursday...I hear SC calling my name!!

Your luck is running like mine. I can't manage to get ahead because the bills are comming faster than the money. I get everything handled and WHAM something else screws up. I hate life this way.

Have a good time tonight and don't let the SC bite. Tip one for me.

Join the broke club. I just had to have the wife's car fixed to the tune of 1800 bucks. Now I have to fix my truck, another 150 bucks. When it rains it pours.

I hear ya bill and bruce, man in one week, laptop broke...barely working, lawnmower screwed(warranty??) now truck...good thing I bought the Southern Comfort on the trip to Colorado!! LOL Cheers guys:drinkers:

Thanks everyone for the help, really sucks as we are beyond broke. Dad has offered me his truck until I get s**t figured out. I should have checked this thread earlier, as I just got off the phone from the Ford doctor. Here is what he tells me.

PCM looks good as far as he can tell.
Tech took it for a road test again today and it stalled for him and rpms were all over the place.
It threw codes(I didnt get them but I will) What they told me about the codes is that they were tranny codes...Codes are VSS, vehicle speed sensor...and another one is TCC torque converter clutch solenoid. I will get the actual codes on Wednesday. Tonight Lori and I are going to see Theory of a Deadman they are a Canadian band playing in Peterborough tonight. I see Southern Comfort in my very near future LOL

Here is the remedy they have told me so far...
Drop the tranny pan and inspect filter for metal etc. ( Dad and I recently did the journey to Colorado...5200kms to pick up dads cuda and we replaced filter/oil, it was fine)

After inspecting filter if no metal present, drop the valve body to get access to the Torque converter solenoid. Check solenoid for resistance and a leakdown/compression test????

Then chk vehicle speed sensor, I believe its located by the tq...by the sounds of it I dont need to remove tranny for any of this. I will get the codes Thursday from the dealership. Thanks again everyone for the help...I will post more Thursday...I hear SC calling my name!!
Now we are getting somewhere,if the TCC is engaging too soon it will feel like running over a speed bump and engine will not idle.(and rpm will be all over the place as it engages and dis-engages)
Keep us posted.
Martin

Now we are getting somewhere,if the TCC is engaging too soon it will feel like running over a speed bump and engine will not idle.(and rpm will be all over the place as it engages and dis-engages)
Keep us posted.
Martin

It sounds like I need to haul my F-150 to you if it gives problems cause you know your stuff.

Idle Air Control you'd be looking for a code P0505 or something around that. The TCC Solenoid code has me intrigued. That would make it act like a manual trans coming to a stop & not pushing in the clutch if it were to fail. VSS could also cause idle problems/ stalling if the PCM doesn't know if the vehicle is moving or stopped. A faulty VSS could possibly set a false code for the TCC. I'm interested in what you find out.

Good Luck!

Ok dropped by the Ford store today and picked up my truck. Great bunch of guys there, they understand I cant afford $95/hr and Im going to attempt as much as I can myself. Service manager and the mech said for me to drop the tranny pan and inspect filter for metal debris. If any is found they said in all probability the tranny needs a rebuild. If no debris, they say to drop the valve body and inspect the Torque Converter solenoid as it is throwing codes. Also the VSS is sending codes and it is apparently mounted on the outside of the tranny by the output shaft??? Truck is at dads as he let me borrow his for now. Here is a list of codes that they retrieved. Im going to list all the codes, but the 1st bunch are from the 1st time they tried retrieving them and the tech said that some are on there as I was doing some diagnostics with the key "on" but truck not running. 2nd group of codes is after they wiped the 1st set and started fresh.

1st set
P1501- vehicle speed sensor
P1705- Trans sensor
P1742- TCC internal components(solenoid)
P0118- ect circuit???
P0123- Trans circuit high input??
P0755- ???
P1443- small or no purge flow(evap)
P1451- Evap control system CVS???

2nd group of codes after above ones were cleared and taken for another test drive

P1112-??
P1502 VSS out of range
P1705- Trans sensor out of range??
P305-???
P1120- Trans sensor??
P0451- Evap malfunction
P0743- Tcc solenoid
P1639- pcm vin block not recognized
P0117- Ect(engine)
P0118-Ect(engine)
P1290-???

They have a ***** of a time with keeping their laptops communicating with the vehicles, sometimes they disconnect and that is what may have caused the P1639 code.

Im going to drop the pan/filter on Friday and go from there. They said there should be absolutely no metal debris whatsoever. I will post more findings Friday.

Thanks again everyone!

Ok dropped by the Ford store today and picked up my truck. Great bunch of guys there, they understand I cant afford $95/hr and Im going to attempt as much as I can myself. Service manager and the mech said for me to drop the tranny pan and inspect filter for metal debris. If any is found they said in all probability the tranny needs a rebuild. If no debris, they say to drop the valve body and inspect the Torque Converter solenoid as it is throwing codes. Also the VSS is sending codes and it is apparently mounted on the outside of the tranny by the output shaft??? Truck is at dads as he let me borrow his for now. Here is a list of codes that they retrieved. Im going to list all the codes, but the 1st bunch are from the 1st time they tried retrieving them and the tech said that some are on there as I was doing some diagnostics with the key "on" but truck not running. 2nd group of codes is after they wiped the 1st set and started fresh.

1st set
P1501- vehicle speed sensor
P1705- Trans sensor
P1742- TCC internal components(solenoid)
P0118- ect circuit???
P0123- Trans circuit high input??
P0755- ???
P1443- small or no purge flow(evap)
P1451- Evap control system CVS???

2nd group of codes after above ones were cleared and taken for another test drive

P1112-??
P1502 VSS out of range
P1705- Trans sensor out of range??
P305-???
P1120- Trans sensor??
P0451- Evap malfunction
P0743- Tcc solenoid
P1639- pcm vin block not recognized
P0117- Ect(engine)
P0118-Ect(engine)
P1290-???

They have a ***** of a time with keeping their laptops communicating with the vehicles, sometimes they disconnect and that is what may have caused the P1639 code.

Im going to drop the pan/filter on Friday and go from there. They said there should be absolutely no metal debris whatsoever. I will post more findings Friday.

Thanks again everyone!

That is interesting that only 2 codes appear in both groups if I didn't miss one.

Never expected to find Ford ECC help here, but this sure sounds a lot like the troubles my daughter is having with her 01 Mustang six cyl stick.
I had her replace the the IAC, TPS and clean the mass air. Replacing the IAC seemed to tame the erratic RPM, but only for while, although it isn't dying at idle anymore. She says it acts like it doesn't want to take the throttle in gear (won't accelerate) and mileage is way off too.
Throwing codes 1181 (high fuel press), 1581 (elect throttle malfunction), 181 (fuel temp sensor circ out of range), and 7E5 (I didn't write it down) She hasn't cleared the codes to turn off the MIL since working on it, so some may have gone away, but the problem hasn't.
Clogged injectors? Bad fuel press reg? Bad VSS? or something as simple as cleaning and verifying engine grounds?
She's in OC and trying to help her fix it from 1200 miles away is a PITA.

Hopefully I will know more later today once I drop the pan

Twofosho, hope you get the problems straightened out, I could only imagine dealing with the 1200 mile away problem!

Well I dropped the pan, and found what I would call "dust" on the magnet inside the pan. Not much really. I ran a strong magnet thru the fluid and didnt gather any metal debris. Does anyone know how to drop the valve body?? There is a shitload of bolts and Im not sure which ones should come out. The dealership said to drop it so that I could get access to the TCC, torque converter clutch solenoid...Also trying to find the TCS(transmission control switch)

Thanks
4spdragtop

Not sure I'd drop the VB, steve. Fords often require locating dowels to properly relocate it when you put it back. If I remember right, I think that one does. I know the one in my Ranger does. It's a 5R55E.

-
Back