idle problems when its hot.

-

BLOW-DART

Reaction score
hey everyone, need some help here. i think i have a multitude of problems going on but im looking for some insight on possible solutions. this is what i have: 318(i think its a 70') stock with the exception of a cam but i dont know the specs, supposedly a purple shaft. edlebrock 650 carb, mech fuel pump, hei ignition, cheap chrome coil, stock water pump, stock radiator, with a 904 that has a shift kit in it. this is all in a 64 barracuda and the motor has large 360 exaust manifolds on it.

the problem im having is when the car starts to run hot, if cruising downtown or sitting at an idle in stop and go it starts to miss and sputter till it dies unless i keep it running by putting it in neutral and keeping the rpm's around 2k. once i get moving the motor seems to run just fine, and when its cold it will idle perfect and sound great too.

ive heard that a bad coil can cause idle problems if its hot but i would think it wouldnt want to run period if it were the coil and it runs fine down the road at higher rpm's.

ive heard the edlebrock carbs if the fuel pressure is too high will push fuel pass the seats and flood out, but if that were the issue maybe it would be doing that cold as well?

i also think i might be having some vapor locking issues. the oversized 360 exaust manifolds fit real tight in the engine compartment and are right up against the inner fenders, real close to the fuel line. but just the other night when it started acting up i took it down the highway and got the engine temp back down to 160 and it was still acting up, even on a cool night leading me to think it might be the carb or the coil.

any input would be great, im in the process of trial and error on all fronts.

thanks.

do u have trouble with it starting after it sits awhile. i am having that trouble put a carb spacer on and it seems to have gotten worse

i had been hearing from numerous people to not trust the aftermarket chrome accel coils. pulled it off tonight and put on an old black mopar one that was covered in grease. runs perfectly now, dont have any problems. do you have HEI ignition? what coil?

-
Back