Idler arm issues

-

rowinafour

Reaction score
I recently spent far to many hours massaging a set of hooker 5204's into my 1973 Duster only to find that the idler arm hits one of the tubes turning to the right. Are there any other idlers arms that could replace the stock one to allow more clearance and a tighter right turn? By the way, I should have read the threads regarding hooker headers anf milodon oil pans BEFORE buying them,

Notreally. The bend and length are set to match the pitman arm to keep the steering correct. Sounds like maybe you have a bad motor mount although I had the same problem with a set of hookers a couple of years ago. After trying to get them to fit for about a week I sent them back to Summit. They called me and said they were mis-boxed and that was why they didn't fit. Sent me a new pair. Fit great on the right but the pitman arm hit on the left... Who knows. I'd look at the motot mount first though.

I had to ding my TTI`s to clear the idler too. Tweaking the exhaust seems to be a normal procedure on these cars.

Your problem is the passenger side motor mount is weak. I had the same problem until I replaced the motor mount, no more problem.

Just to update.... found idler arm on ebay, NOS no. 3402846. Works great! Idler arm is straight. Arm that was removed has bend to right. All is well now!

-
Back