Idling problem

-

TLlew

Reaction score
For the past couple of weeks my 66 slant runs alright when its cold, but once it warms up it idles terribly and stalls out whenever I hit a stoplight. I replaced the plug wires, checked the points, set the timing, checked the spark plug gap, and checked the choke. I figure its some kind of ignition problem, but not sure exactly what.

I checked the needle and seat and the float level. They were all fine, but I still having the same problems. Does anyone else know what could be causing them.

vac leak??

see if it responds to a little carb cleaner around different places of the carb and intake...just a little bit...

I have no experience with the Slant 6 specifically. But oftentimes electrical problems come into play after the engine reaches operating temperature. It could be the ignition coil or condenser. I have had that problem with other engines in the past. Good luck.

I agree with Dave. when I bought my 71 a lot of the small vacuum lines had hairline cracks. Once I replaced them it smoothed right out.

Turned out to be a bad ballast resistor. My dad had an old truck repair manual that said how to test it and sure enough that was the problem. Changed it out with one from napa and now my valiant is running great.

cool, didn't even think about that...I always thought they either worked or they didn't..we all learned something!:read2:

-
Back