Ignition boxes

-

Brian Hood

Reaction score
I am running a street car with a mild 318 in iit. Would I see a higher hp gain if I tried to use a Mallory Accell or other name brand boxes that are available? What about those e-3 diamondfire type plugs? Do they really work?

You might see a slight gain with a multi spark box but I just can't believe in the E-3 plugs. Electricity by nature takes the path of least resistance to ground so there is no way it'll spark at 3 places at once IMO. Plus by the way they look the design of them shrouds the flame front. Most fancy plugs are just like snake oil IMO.

You might see a slight gain with a multi spark box but I just can't believe in the E-3 plugs. Electricity by nature takes the path of least resistance to ground so there is no way it'll spark at 3 places at once IMO. Plus by the way they look the design of them shrouds the flame front. Most fancy plugs are just like snake oil IMO.
Your Favorite Chevy show called Horsepower TV did test those plugs...believe it or not they provided better gas mileage and more horsepower..and an independent company came in and tested them on there dyno...

Your Favorite Chevy show called Horsepower TV did test those plugs...believe it or not they provided better gas mileage and more horsepower..and an independent company came in and tested them on there dyno...

My favorite Chevy show? Irregardless, the vast majority of these so called "super plugs" are just a gimmick. I can't tell you how many sets I've tried and about 1/2 of them lost power and mpg. The others were just equal. Just because they showed a gain in one engine doesn't mean they'll show a gain in every engine and who's to say the plugs they were tested against were optimum for the engine? I found that even in spite of the heat range rating of plugs sometimes you have to play with them to find the optimum plug.

You believe your favorite Chevy show that can only get 425 hp out of a $10,000 dollar big block Mopar and I'll believe what I want. :-D

A Pertronix Ignitor III installed in your distributor
is a great "bang-for-the-buck" modification,
along with MSD 8.8 wires, & a Pertronix coil.

Forget the magic plugs.

HTH 8)

Good plugs help but they don't fire by themselves. That is where a hot ignition box and coil comes in.

I was using an msd 6 box and one of their coils but after a few weeks the motor would seem to be running fine but some of the spark plugs were oily-or black. Yes my rings were likely worn, etc. But I wanted a rev limiter and felt dumb paying $200 for a msd 6al when for back then $350 got you a msd 7al (now they sell a plus 7 for $500 freaking bucks) I also got an hvc coil.

My spark plugs were always clean after the switch--the plugs still needed to be replaced each season since the hotter spark seem to eat away at the metal

My motor also seem less fussy which plugs I ran. I have ran in to problems with weak plug wires that short to ground. The msd 6 box spark is weaker but that can be good if your wires are not in top notch shape.

I have notice less fouling with hotter ign.The fbo ign was good for a better seat of the pants feel as well. For my Dart I'll be using champion plugs and an msd 7al.

I cant bother with the fancy plugs. For everyday use I just get ngk v grooves.

Yeah, they also showed a HP gain with a "fuel catalyst canister" they installed to "condition" the fuel. Do you really believe that? :read2: How about a super duper tornado twister throttle body spacer for your fi engine. All the cool ricer kids use them and they are ALL putting out 300hp.

Crapola.

Original poster: You can have a large ignition performance upgrade without spending big bucks on parts you cannot replace immediately at any parts store or wrecking yard. See HEI upgrade and read the linked articles.

There is no need to spend big money for magic spark plugs, and there is no benefit to doing so. My favorite trick plug is NGK #ZFR5N, which has projected electrodes to move the spark closer to the middle of the combustion chamber, away from quenchout and shroud areas. This plug design was developed by the major reputable plug companies in the '70s in cooperation with the automakers who were trying to get their newly-desmogged engines to run acceptably. Moving the spark away from quenchout/shroud areas made for more reliable ignition of difficult-to-ignite, borderline-lean mixtures. First application was AMC 258s. First Mopar application was '81-'83 EFI 318 Imperials, and there are numerous more recent applications (4.0 Jeeps, 3.2 and 3.5 LH cars, etc.) Cost is the same as any other regular NGK plug, and they come without any of the bullѕhit used to hawk E3s and other scam plugs. If you have trouble ordering them by p/n, order by application ("2000 Jeep Cherokee with 4.0 engine").

The Chinese-made E3 plugs are a scam, just like every other "magic spark plug" scam in the last eighty years or so. Nothin' new under the sun. Wayyyy back in the days of gas price wars that started at 29¢/gallon and went downward from there, JC Witless had full-page ads hollering RUN YOUR CAR WITHOUT SPARK PLUGS! Back then they called 'em "fire injectors" rather than "E3", but the baloney still smells the same.

The claims made for what they do and how they do it don't square with any reality we live with in this universe, and are easily debunked by any 8th-grader in the top half of his science class -- and some of them (such as "the spark plug hasn't changed since 1904") can easily be squashed by the kids flunking everything but Smoking Area.

As for the magazine/TV show "test" of E3 plugs: Yeah, no doubt.

Think: automakers spend enormous sums of money to squeeze every last possible bit of fuel economy and efficiency from their engines. If these (or any) magic spark plugs did even a little bit of what they're claimed to be, you would see them as original equipment. You don't. There's a good reason.

These are the projected tip plugs that Dan speaks of. The only downside is lack of a colder plug availible and piston to ground strap clearance. Since I'm in the midst of a 4.0L HO build these plugs were only an arms reach away. I wish I had a pic of the plug in the combustion chamber so you could see how centralized it is.

IMG_1352.jpg

The 4.0 really is really a magnum engine with it's generous quench pads, same intake valve sizes, behive springs, etc, etc. They even use a 6.123 rod.... The simillarities are astounding.

-
Back