ignition lock cylinder

-

cktasto

Reaction score
is it possible to remove an ignition lock cyllnder without the key? I've been reading some threads and dont see that described if you dont have the right key to begin with.
thanks

charlie

If your asking about a dash mounted key switch I'd say yes. Once ignition is removed you'll see a hole in the threaded collar of the switch. In this hole you should see a stud/pin in this hole. Compressing/collapsing this pin should release the tumbler. Without the key you will probably have to collapse it forcefully with a drift or punch.

Thanks guys, i have the dash mounted ignition switch. I hadnt thought of using a punch to drive in the pin to release it.
Anyone done this? I'd hate have it not work and have a ignition switch with a tumbler i cant remove

I just replaced my ignition switch on my 68 Dart GT - I had to put the key into it and turn to the start position before the pin would plunge down far enough to get the key cylinder out - made it much easier than trying to push down on the pin without the key - tried that at first but couldn't get it out until I used the key

Thanks for the reply. Yesterday i used a punch and knocked the pin into the cylinder. The cylindrr came right out no problem and the new cylinder works fine.
Thanks again

-
Back