Ignition problem

-
If I do another car like an a body again, I will buy all the M&H harnesses from year one on sale, then replace every one and enjoy not chasing electrical gremlins all the time…..

Glad you found it. That's not a wire that I've seen get cooked a lot but I haven't worked on a 70s car in a long time. Steering column connector, and the later cars (73?) with engine connectors are often trouble spots. Also connections in the bulkhead multi-connectors - epsecially high load ones.

A lot of times the wires get knocked about and removed from the cable wrap etc etc. They then had to survive us who derided all those wire clips and hangers as a pain in the ***. Little did we know there was a reason for them....

Watch out for some of the connectors and replacement terminals. Most, but not all, will be a Chrysler/Ford terminal thats like a Packard 58. When used with Packard 56 they don't always fit right resulting in a loose terminal when the connector is installed. Just a slight difference in length but prevents a good contact.

edit: jsut remembered these
This photo I took at carlisle 2019 is of a claimed '72 survivor. The earlier cars had the ballast protected by the drip edge.
View attachment 1716212916

View attachment 1716212917

I'm sure it can get quite hot in here plus oil fumes etc
View attachment 1716212918
Hmm…. I wonder if that's why I had trouble starting my '73 Satellite many years ago after a rainy day.. No drip edge over the ballast resistor and the seal at the cowl wasn't doing it's job. :thumbsup:

Hmm…. I wonder if that's why I had trouble starting my '73 Satellite many years ago after a rainy day.. No drip edge over the ballast resistor and the seal at the cowl wasn't doing it's job
Water would not stop it from working properly but repeated exposure can cause bad corroded connections.

67 dart

PXL_20230516_204319342~2.jpg

-
Back