Ignition/Starting issues`

-

rp23g7

Reaction score
My 71 scamp /6 suddenly will not start.

I thought it may be the starter relay, so i replaced it.

Same issue

I checked the voltage at the Battery, the relay and the starter. All have 12.83 volts.

I was trying to search on how to bypass the Ballast resistor, and how to bypass the NSS. But cant find the info.

I turn the key and nothing happens. There is a connection somewhere as the fuel gauge and the ammmeter move in the respective ways.

On thing that does happen is the Positive side of the battery gets really hot. I took the cable off ther terminal for now.

any ideas?

Blasted friggen !@^&*#^%$# Ballast resistor

So was the resistor your problem?? Are you fine now? or just blaming the resistor because it still won't worky.

If still no worky...Are you saying the starter won't turn over or just won't start....or both?:scratch:

Stupid question but have you tried to start the car in Neutral? Same thing happened to me and it ended up being the Neutral safety switch.

For testing purposes you can make a wire to go from the G terminal on the relay to ground and that will bypass the NSS. If the battery is getting hot and you haven't really done anything yet then I would be starting to wonder about the bulkhead connections.

Yeah, it was the ballast resistor, i had tried bypassing the NSS, with the same results. Checked the bulkhead connector and all seemed fine there. I unplugged the ballast resistor and plugged it back in and it started.

-
Back