Ignition switch issue

-

340luckyman

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of finishing a Ron Francis kit install on my 70 dart and have run into a problem with the ignition. When I turn the key to the on position the starter engages before I get to the crank position. I have the wires connected as follows:

RF red battery to red ignition
RF brown accessory to black ignition
RF light blue start relay to yellow ignition
RF orange ignition feed to brown and blue ignition

I have an MSD ignition without ballast resistor. When I disconnect the blue ignition wire the starter only engages in the crank position but accessories don't work. Also, with everything connected as described above with the key turned to the back accessory position nothing works.

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated!

Is your shifter in park on the column. And your tranny, linkage in park position. If they are not in the correct position. The key switch will be off. All it takes is just a little bit. I had that problem too. I couldn't remove the key either. :coffee2:

Dart swinger 73, thanks for the reply. I finally was able to figure out the problem after retracing the wiring. I had two wires landed in the wrong place that had similar wording. Everything works as it should now.

-
Back