Ignition switch light timer - where?

-
Reaction score
My '73 Dart has the ignition switch light just ahead of the hazard flasher switch, but it doesn't work even with a new bulb. I suspect the timer's unplugged, missing, or dead, but I haven't found the durn thing yet. Where is it behind the dash? Maybe it's hidden by the A/C duct?

Thanks…

You've probably already check your library of wiring diagrams to know this for sure, but if I read mine correctly for Aaron's '74, the delay has a yellow wire. I crawled under the dash and followed a yellow wire from the column until I lost it behind the A/C underdash diffuser (vents). I couldn't see anything else under the dash that looked like it could be the delay. I hope you can get under you dash a little easier than I can. Good luck.

I'll take "More Difficult" for 600, Alex! (you've got bucket seats…I've got a bench!)

Thanks. I've got what seems like every FSM except '73 on my shelf!

If you need it I have an extra timer I can send you and can take pictures of where it should be both of my 74's have it.

(you've got bucket seats…I've got a bench!)

Actually, no, this is in Aaron's '74 Dart Sport with a bench. And you're right, it's not easy contorting this 52 year-old body to get a look under the dash.

Dan201, I'll take you up on the offer for the pics. I would like my curiosity to be satisfied, as well.

If you need it I have an extra timer I can send you and can take pictures of where it should be both of my 74's have it.

That's a kind offer, Dan —*I did find the timer, taped (w/harness tape) to part of the underdash wire bundle above the A/C output duct. I'm not entirely sure how to test it, but just going on recollection of how it works, mine is indeed bad and I could use a replacement.

If you still want pictures let me know with a pm and I will post them in this thread and if you pm me your address I will ship off one of the timers I think I might have 2 spairs right now I will test it to make sure before I ship it.

Alright here to go people these are the pictures to end all questions about the location of the timer the first two are of the wiring harness that is in your car if you have it for the courtesy light package under the dash the 3rd picture is with air conditioning and the 4th without air conditioning. And yes I have 2 cars with this package. Both are 74's

PICT0010.JPG

PICT0011.JPG

PICT0012.JPG

PICT0013.JPG

Thanks for the pics. Now, I'll have to go take a look and find the one in my son's '74 Dart Sport.

Doe's anyone know the part number or where I can order the timer relay. I think mine is bad when you turn open the door the light ignition lamp comes on but when the car is started it never goes off. I have burnt out two bulbs trying to figure out the problem.

Thanks

I'd love to know exactly how it works... Is it a capacitor or a timed relay or ?

It's a simple thermal timer -- much like an ordinary turn signal flasher, except designed for one cycle at a time. When power is first applied (you open the door or turn on the dome light), it flows thru the resistance wire wrapped round the bimetallic contact arm inside the timer, quickly heating it to the point where it snaps into the position where the timer's contacts close. The ignition light goes on. Once power is no longer flowing (you close the door or turn off the dome light) the contacts remain closed until the bimetallic arm cools down, snapping the contacts open (takes about 10 seconds).

Part number for new timer is 2889 565, still a current dealer part.

You rock the party. Thanks!!!! So if you remove it and bridge the wires, you basically just remove the 10 second delay and the light goes off as soon as the circuit is opened?

You would have to bridge the correct two wires (out of three); once you do that the ignition light will come on and go off with the dome light (no delay).

-
Back