Ignition switch light

-

MoparBrit

HillingdonDart
Reaction score
A question: The Dart I have decodes that it has the lighting package. The car does have a lamp in the glove box, one in the ashtray, a trunk light, but that is it. I suspect that the map light was taken out of the car as it has a dealer installed AC system and the big vent thing is in the middle under the dash. I see no map light switch and have felt behind the dash lip on the passenger size for the map light, but nothing. Not as yet found where the wires were perhaps cut, but not looked that hard either.

The question I have is this. From what I read the car should have a timed ignition switch light. Where is it and how does it work? Looks like just a regular ignition switch to me. I don't see anything that looks like a light that would shine on it or a bulb by it or anything.

Anyone explain what to look for, how it works or maybe provide a picture of what I should be looking for?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

it is attached to a loop that fits over the iginition switch and is held in place by the ignition switch when it is screwed in...

at least on the 68 dart I own, which has the iginition switch on the dash instead of in the column.

I have a '72 Scamp & a '72 Swinger with the lighting packages. Neither one has the ignition switch light. My Cordoba does and it is a little metal cap that sticks out of the column next to the key and it goes on when the dome light is activated like opening a door. I do not think the a-bodies had them (or at least I have not seen one yet). As far as the map light thing, both cars have the light. The light goes on with the dome light or you can use the switch to activate it.

You don't mention it but the light package is supposed to include fender indicators. Does your car have them? Some say if it is a 340 car it doesn't get the fender indicators. I have never seen anything in print that says this is true, but then again I haven't found anything that says it is not true either.

Chuck

DragginMAster said:
it is attached to a loop that fits over the iginition switch and is held in place by the ignition switch when it is screwed in...

at least on the 68 dart I own, which has the iginition switch on the dash instead of in the column.

My 69 barracuda has the ignition switch light as well. Attached to a loop as described above....Its on a timer (round relay thingy under the dash)

Thanks for the replies!

I'm just going off reading what the decode says the car should have. I don't see a ring behind the ignition switch (on the column by the way) and the only thing I see on the column is an emergency flasher button (works) and right next to it is a black piece. What is that? Does anyone know? Maybe that is the light somehow (not had a look on the dash side of it to see if it has a lens there yet). The black piece is right next to the emergency flasher part, but it is quite a distance from the ignition switch.

Yes, I read in something that it should have fender signal flashers as well. My car does not have any. Original slant 6 car so a puzzle there. I know one fender has been replaced, but the other is original.

On the '69 Barracuda, is the switch in the dash or on the column?

Starting to wonder if the factory used the same code for the complete range of cars (A, B etc.) and just left off certain ones on certain lines although the listing showed everything for the code that was available?

Thanks for all the help. If anyone has any pictures of what I should be looking for that would be great also.

Cheers

Thanks for confirming. Been doing a search and as yet I've not found a picture of the light for the column on that year.

I have that exact light on my 72 Demon. It is located on the steering column right next to the emergency flasher switch. It is the little round black piece. Pull that black piece off & the bulb will be right there. If there is No bulb in there, it will take a #1445 bulb. Hope this helps

My 73 dart and my girlfriends 72 scamp bolth have them. The colum I rebuilt from a 71 dart also had it. It should be a single yellow wire that follows the ignition switch harness but isn't part of the harness itself.

Thanks for the replies!!! I'll have to really look at it now. I have the emergency flasher switch part on the column and there is a piece right next to it. Not really that close to the ignition switch, but hey, if that is where it is then there you go.

Not had chance to look at the interior as I've been working on the suspension and brake swap. Hope to have chance maybe this weekend.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Just thought I'd thank everyone on replies on this one again. While upside down under the dash figuring out how the brake light switch adjusts I looked up and did see that the black cylindrical thing right next to the emergency flasher does indeed have a lens on it. The lens was just pointing down so I had not seen it before. I twisted it in place, but with the dome on I'm getting no light from it. I'll have to pull the cylinder bit off (sounds like that is what you do by the post above and see if it has a bulb, if it is good and/or if I'm even getting power up there.

Thanks again for the info.

Cheers

-
Back