Ignition switch puzzle

-

GermzD74

Cool Member
Reaction score
I am having truble with such a simple interior piece, and its giving me headaches!

Napa sells aftermarket ingition switches for chrysler cars and they do have the one specified for my 67 valiant which were the ones on the dash not the column. The car had the ignition lock broken when i bought it and have to turn the car on with a huge flat screw driver...these switches have three outer fins that run horizontally on the neck of the swtich...but i am not sure what is wrong but the bezel thats on the dash for this switch has only one opening for one fin thing....not three...so the iginition neck wont go through...am i missing a piece? some type of bracket that held the switch and the threaded part of the switch is the only thing thats supposed to pop out of the bezel? not a huge problem but at the same time it is because someone could easily turnon my car if i dont fix this lol:-&

As you can see in the pictures...my switch is just like that one but another thing thats puzzling me is that my connection for the switch has only 5 inputs and these swtiches im finding used or unused have 6...huh huh huh!?

and the bezel picture is similar to mine but behind of mine i have no bracket thing...hmmm any valiant guys know what im missing?

68IgnSwitch2.jpg

dac3_1.jpg

One of the three "splines" should be longer than the other two. It is the long one that indexes into your bezel to keep the switch from turning.

Chuck

One of the three "splines" should be longer than the other two. It is the long one that indexes into your bezel to keep the switch from turning.

Chuck

Yes indeed the longer spline seemed to go in fine...but the other 2 were not going in...so I said...hmmm okay maybe the bezel i screw in will hold it in place...and yes it did but nothing was stopping the switch from spinning...lol

hmmm i thught of grinding off the other 2 splines haha are the other two forced in? maybe i didnt try hard enough haha

Thanks Chuck.

yeah cut the extra keys (thingys) off.
Keys didn't sound good when talking about a keyed switch. LOL

This sounds all wrong to me. The three splines, or ridges go behind the dash and keep the switch from coming through the dash when the ring is screwed onto it. There should be a tab in the dash on top that indexes in a slot on the switch. I can see the slot in the pic you posted. I think the 6 pin switches have two ACC tabs, and are compatible with a 5 pin plug.

-
Back