Ignition switch REALLY hard to turn now!

-

Kevin Jonker

Reaction score
Wouldn't you know at the drags (at tech) the ignition switch won't turn to start! 1968 fish. Really gave me a bad time all day. It had been getting tougher to get to the start position. Should I just buy on from the local auto parts store ( carquest)? Spray graphite lubricant into it? Any input would help! Thx, Kevin

You know how to get it apart? Id try cleaning it. Chances are it's the lock and not the switch section

I have had luck before just using my air compressor to blast some air in it then using a dry lubricant like lock-ease.

FYI the copper connections inside the switch wear down over time and the dust from it can cause small shorts, I took mine apart and cleaned it out to get rid of a battery draining issue.

I know your problem is seperate but it wouldnt hurt to "rebuild" it while it is out.

the ignitions they sell at the parts store are a little off, had to change the one in our dart the day we got it and it came out ok, went most of the way back in good too. that last 1/4 inch was a pain. don't know if it was the column or not. the ignition was messed up when we got it. a half hour job turned into two hours.

I would try flushing it out with wd40 first, it sounds like a build up of crud 7 it needs cleaned-- spray the cylinder-- run your key in & out a few times-- wipe the key off each time-- worth a shot, lawrence

-
Back