Ignition Switch Removal "Trick"

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I lowered the steering column on the '65 Valiant Signet Convertible to remove the instrument panel. I found that one end of the bracket that is used to secure the column to the dash frame fit perfectly into the chrome round nut that secures the ignition switch in the dash. In the past, not having a proper tool, I always struggled trying to tap a screwdriver into those little slots to loosen up the switch. This bracket made removal and installation a breeze.

I don't know if the bracket is made this way from the factory or not and whether it was just a happy coincidence that it served a dual purpose like this. One side of the bracket is notched on the sides that makes it fit, the opposite end of the bracket is too wide.

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

When you don't feel like going shopping, one starts to look around the house/yard/garage for substitute stuff. I locked myself out of my pickup one time in a wrecking yard parking lot. I walked around the parking lot a few times to find stuff I could use to pull the door lock open. I found some wire and other stuff that made it possible to break into my own vehicle that way.

-
Back