Ignition system for '66 Dart (Autolite or Chrysler)

-

1966DartConvertible

Reaction score
Hi there.

I was told that 1960's Chrysler slant sixes were offered with either Autolite or Chrysler ignition system. My Dist cap is light brown in color, and underneath my distributor cap is stamped 2444690. Is this Chrysler ignition?

What puzzled me is that the cap looks like Chrysler but the ROTOR looks like THIS! i.e Autolite...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODG...rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_2245wt_687

Can they be mixed?

Appreciate if anyone can clarify this for me as im just about to order the ignition set for my '66 dart.

Thanks

Syed

The Canadian-made slant-6s came with Auto-Lite (Prestolite) distributors with cast iron bodies through 1966. The very early units ('60-'63) take a special cap, but the '64-'66 units (IBR-4203G) take the same distributor cap as the aluminum-body Chrysler distributor. 2444690 is the part number of the cap that would have been supplied in 1966. The rotor in the Auto-Lite distributor is different than the one in the Chrysler distributor. All slant-6 distributors, no matter who made them or where, are physically interchangeable.

The Canadian-made slant-6s came with Auto-Lite (Prestolite) distributors with cast iron bodies through 1966. The very early units ('60-'63) take a special cap, but the '64-'66 units (IBR-4203G) take the same distributor cap as the aluminum-body Chrysler distributor. 2444690 is the part number of the cap that would have been supplied in 1966. The rotor in the Auto-Lite distributor is different than the one in the Chrysler distributor. All slant-6 distributors, no matter who made them or where, are physically interchangeable.

Thanks for the info Dan. So youre sayin I can order either Autolite or Chrysler Prestolite tune up kit and they will all fit? This is what it says on the side of my Dist:

P1010907.jpg

What are these "tune-up kits" you are finding? If they're Australian, they may not fit your Canadian distributor. You may want to update the ignition system, see here, rather than continuing to mess with points.

Frank, you're guessing and assuming—incorrectly.

No, that kit will not work. The rotor is wrong and the points are wrong for your Prestolite distributor; they will not fit. The cap and condensor would fit, but I wouldn't buy this kit even if it were correct for my car; the parts are not major brand/high quality. It's generic junk.

The points you need are Echlin CS-723A or Standard AL-5384P.
The rotor you need is Echlin AL-160 or Standard AL-169.

Frank, you're guessing and assuming—incorrectly.

No, that kit will not work. The rotor is wrong and the points are wrong for your Prestolite distributor; they will not fit. The cap and condensor would fit, but I wouldn't buy this kit even if it were correct for my car; the parts are not major brand/high quality. It's generic junk.

The points you need are Echlin CS-723A or Standard AL-5384P.
The rotor you need is Echlin AL-160 or Standard AL-169.

$hit...

I just ordered it coz i sent him a query on this as to which ignition system it is for and his reply:

Dear malaycooper,

this set is for chrysler ignition,the only two ignition systems used by chrysler in the sixties is either autolite or chrysler,this set is for chrysler ignition,thanks

- jtparts

So I should get a refund if it doesn't fit (as per Ebay regulations)?

So...wait a sec, help me make sure I understand:

1. You ask on here and that other board for help identifying your ignition system.

2. You get a comprehensive answer identifying your ignition system as the Prestolite setup, even giving you the distributor number before you post a picture confirming that very number.

3. You order the wrong part because the seller says "It's for the Chrysler system" even though you've already been told (and have presumably read right off the distributor) that you have the Prestolite system.

4. You want a refund because the guy sold you a part that you knew wouldn't fit your car.

Um…what? Talk about ready…FIRE!…aim.

What's the point of asking for advice if you're going to ignore it?

So...wait a sec, help me make sure I understand:

1. You ask on here and that other board for help identifying your ignition system.

2. You get a comprehensive answer identifying your ignition system as the Prestolite setup, even giving you the distributor number before you post a picture confirming that very number.

3. You order the wrong part because the seller says "It's for the Chrysler system" even though you've already been told (and have presumably read right off the distributor) that you have the Prestolite system.

4. You want a refund because the guy sold you a part that you knew wouldn't fit your car.

Um…what? Talk about ready…FIRE!…aim.

What's the point of asking for advice if you're going to ignore it?

If you see the replies i get from other users of this forum and also other forums, the answers were all "They are all the same, just buy anything for the slant six and it will fit...". Then i went ahead and ask the seller that is it for the Chrysler or Autolite, and he told me Chrysler. So i went ahead and order BEFORE you told me that it wont fit...

Well can always order another set... learn from mistakes i guess...

Ok Dan I thought you said in THIS post that unless He had a 60-63 unit that the STANDARD tune up parts would fit the IBR-4203G.
Did I misunderstand ???
Frank

Ok Dan I thought you said in THIS post that unless He had a 60-63 unit that the STANDARD tune up parts would fit the IBR-4203G.

No, I said the ordinary distributor cap would fit unless he had a '60-'63 distributor. Then I went on to say the ordinary rotor would not. We didn't discuss points because I figured one he had the answer to his original question ("Which ignition system do I have?"), he would proceed with that answer to order the right parts.

If you see the replies i get from other users of this forum and also other forums, the answers were all "They are all the same, just buy anything for the slant six and it will fit...".

I don't see any such advice in the replies I posted to your thread, nor in the PM I sent you.

-
Back