I'm a newb too

-

John John

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Today I just bought an old 72 dodge dart swinger. I paid $450 for it. It does not run because it needs a battery, and an engine gas cap. It is a bit rusty, but overall the body is clean. A few small dents but I'm not too worried. I've always wanted one of these, and now I finally have one to work on. I don't know anything about cars except for what I learned when I worked at Jiffy Lube a few years back.
I'm on a tight budget, so I can't shell out lots of money to restore her to her full beauty in the near future. This will most likely be a 5-6 year project, depending on when I graduate. Oh I'm a junior in college by the way.

Anyway, what advice can anyone give me as far as just starting out. I'll slowly get her done. Like should I peal the paint and prime it first? Should I rip out the nasty interior? Should I look for parts? I'd eventually like it to be a hot rod. What are my options? I know for sure I will need to replace the original engine. Thanks in advance!

Some day I'd like it to look like this...
http://www.goodwheelsonline.com/swing.JPG

Welcome I am a Newbie also. Just don't loose focus and it will look like that or better one day. Oh yeah PICS we love pics.

Welcome
I have a 72 Swinger bought it as a basket case. Put a new windshield in, had the seats recovered and started driving it. Once you start driving them you get addicted and then you will need another job to afford all the cool stuff you can do to these cars.
Good luck and we need pics.
Bruce

Welcome John John.
We have the best of the best here, So jump on in and enjoy
I always strip out the carpet and see what needs to be dun first.
Remember to always enjoy the time you get to spend with your dart :cheers:

Oh, as far as advise??? GET IT RUNNING AND DRIVING!!!! AND ENJOY IT!!!! Then do what ever you want to it. I got mine running and driving first this time around and it has been great. I can enjoy the car and do work on it and be able to move it around under it's own power. It is nice. Although, it all depends what is wrong with it. You said a battery. Get it running. Mine has come really far. I got it running first. Then body work, now interior and brakes. I dont know. Just a suggestion.

-
Back