im discusted with old guy purists

-
Ok,the other day,an older gent brought a ezgo golf cart for my bro in law to paint.I happen to be there working on my 71 dart,when the guy asked my bro in law,who ruined the darts in your yard here?MY bro in law said,they belong to my bro in law,and hes right there working on it now.Well the guy turned red,because he new i heard him,hell,i was standing less than 5 feet from him.I simply asked the man,sir,why do you think i have ruined my cars?He tells me that if there not 100%original,then they have no value.So i told the guy one of my cars was a 6 cylinder,the other i bought had a lot missing,and wasnt a 340 car,so i dont feel like im destroying a piece of history or any thing.I know there are people that dont like what i do to my cars,especially older folks,thats ok,i dont like how they pretend to restore a car original and then use basecoat clear coat paint on it.That is about as original as my 73 six cylinder dart,that now has 17 inch cobra wheels on it.But i dont tell people there ORIGINAL cars are crappy,were crappy from the factory,and are still crappy because there put back original.I told the guy,if he wanted to waste his money putting the original slant six back in his 69 charger,thats his choice,ill wave as i pass him in my modified 318 dart,that people actually like to see.

I can't believe you changed that 6 Cly car to a V-8........................ I would never do something like that!!! ROFLOL

duster,hemi.jpg

Oooohhh... Mark. The Resto-Freaks are going to stick needles into a Punji doll in your image and wish you'd burn in Hell.

Way to go Dude! :thumblef:

To each his own for sure. Some dork always has something to say at a car show. I usually just ignore then, sit down light up another cigar and crack a beer. I,m doing to my cars exactly what I would have done when I was 17 or 18, soup em up, make them look tough. Ask the purists what they did to thier cars at that age. Me thinks big tires, headers, noisey mufflers and so on.
Now having said all that there is nothing I like to see more than a totaly original roll in, always fun to look at, hell I'm even going to stick my neck out and admit that there aren't too many cars I don't like to look at no matter what the make.

Ive said this at three car shows to older guys who say i trashed my car after i cut the inner fenders out of her for the 2" hooker fenderwells(Any guy can restore a old classic but it takes a real man to cut an chop one up)the look on there face is priceless as i walk away!hahaha
MIKEY

A while back I was in the market for a 440. There was a guy in town selling an old Imperial for $400. I thought that was perfect! I went to see the guy, he started the car and it sounded beautiful. Everything checked out. My dad and I spent a ton of time looking at the engine but the guy kept showing us the interior, but we didn't really care. He asked "what do you guys plan on doing with this anyway?". To our error, we said "we're going to pull the engine and slap it in our Duster". Yeah, big mistake. He just told us to leave.

A-holes come in all shapes colors sizes and AGES. The one you ran into just happened to be an old guy. I'm an "old guy" and I like all kinds of car stuff. Trucks, tractors, anything mechanical, you name it. It's cool to me if it's got value based on what it is. It could be anything. Poorly done restorations are just pure crap to me. I might find a modded car with a little rust and and worn interior rocks. I even get excited about some stuff I find sinking into pastures if I think it's got potential. But that's just me. That's all that matters. Or in this case, YOU.

Decent folk with two brain cells to rub together don't make comments like that to strangers, one way or the other. Yeah, they guy is a 'tard.

I have been asked why my 73 340 is painted orange instead of blue.
Because a light blue engine with a orange air cleaner looks like CRAP in a yellow engine compartment!!!
Another guy asked me why I cut the roof to put a sunroof in an A/C car...
I told him the stupid idiot that ordered the car checked off the M52 option on the order sheet and it was a factory installed hole in the roof!! Just like a few hundred other idiots did from 73 thru 76.

I have been asked why my 73 340 is painted orange instead of blue.
Because a light blue engine with a orange air cleaner looks like CRAP in a yellow engine compartment!!!

Sounds like my friend with a 70 GTX - by the fender tag - tan body with a black vinyl roof and green interior. He said no way - painted white with black vinyl top and black interior. He could care less what the fender tag said.

These cars were meant to be modified!!! God why did the factory produce performance parts, wheels, or even crate engines! It is so annoying when people think they are all high and mighty because they have the money do to a frame off resto and rub it in everyone's face because it is now "original" and over 100k is in. I am gonna make it however I want to and if someone has to say, it's their problem, I like some 17" torq thrust M's...no one (besides my dad maybe) will prevent me from buying these rims. They are slick looking and even my dad thought so (he really doesn't like big rims either).
For example, my dad bought his 69' RR brand new :). It came with a 383, now how fun is that...after he wrecked it in 70' (took off the whole passengers side, and had it fixed...costed more than the car new lol) he put a crate 440 6 pack motor in it! It hasn't been on the road since 71' and he dragged it until 78' when the track in CT closed. These cars were made to be modified, not to be fluffed and buffed. They were meant to take abuse! My dad had to put sub frame connectors because the doors started not to close LOL, it was launching so hard! He eventually got it down to 10.96 in like 75' or so.

I had a guy ask how I got a 340 in a 67 Dart

I told him that I built it and could have anything I wanted

he didn't ask anything about the 69 hood or stripe, cloth top, pearl paint, cragers and redlines he wasn't close enough to see the custom ultraleather interior

STUPID PEOPLE

I have an original car and like is OK, but would like it better if it was modified some. I don't because it has 14,500 miles on an 81

I ordered a 77 Aspen new, had my air shocks and mag wheels before i had the car, who drove a stock car?

The dog dish hubcaps were on so many cars because they knew the guys were going to throw them away as soon as they got them home.

-
Back