I'm drinking tonight because I'm pissed.....

-
Sharpie,

Vacumn leak when warm?

Have you had the intake off lately?

Is it torqued correctly?

You say multi carb, do you mean you have tried more than one or you have dual quad or 6 pak. My 71 Cuda had a run problem, rebuilt carb still there, put new carb off my Challenger on it and cured the problem.

Oh, when you feel this way, close your eyes and breathe deep

I here you Sharpie. Are old cars can be a lot of fun. But they can also be a big heartache. I was up the night before the Fall Fling puting my car back to gether. It had been down for weeks and I could not find what was wrong with it. I fixed it, I think? Still don't know what was wrong with it or how I fixed it. LOL Hang in there.

Sharpie,

Vacumn leak when warm?

Have you had the intake off lately?

Is it torqued correctly?

You say multi carb, do you mean you have tried more than one or you have dual quad or 6 pak. My 71 Cuda had a run problem, rebuilt carb still there, put new carb off my Challenger on it and cured the problem.

Oh, when you feel this way, close your eyes and breathe deep

Vacuum leak all the time, but it's only really noticeable when cold, unless I engage the choke.

Multiple carbs because I've gone through a few. It's an Edelbrock Air Gap single 4bbl intake, but I've tried a Holley that I've rebuilt three times and an Edelbrock that I've rebuilt twice. Both using their respective manuals to rebuild it correctly.

How did you come to the conclusion that it is a vacuum leak?

Well, I know a carb is supposed to have a small sucking sound from the venturis, but mine's loud as a vacuum. In a 625cfm Edelbrock 1405 carb. The choke fixes it while cold (even when the fast idle cam is disengaged, meaning it doesn't open the throttle plates when I apply the choke). And when the car is warm, the engine sounds perfect.

This tells me that richening the mixture is helping the car idle. Which means it's running too lean. But the idle speed and idle mixture screws aren't working enough, only cutting off the air feed does the trick. Also, before I rebuilt the Edelbrock the second time (on Wednesday), the car was running better than after. When I took apart the carb on Wednesday, I found that a metering rod was bent so it wasn't metering the fuel feed at the jet. When I replaced the metering rod with a straight one, the car would no longer idle. Telling me that the A/F ratio wasn't good enough, until I installed the choke hardware, which cuts off the air supply a bit.

I'll Give you $20 For it.. HAHA! JK! :D keep going with it and take a brake when your frustrated.. I have no advice for the vacuum leak though..

Well, I know a carb is supposed to have a small sucking sound from the venturis, but mine's loud as a vacuum. In a 625cfm Edelbrock 1405 carb. The choke fixes it while cold (even when the fast idle cam is disengaged, meaning it doesn't open the throttle plates when I apply the choke). And when the car is warm, the engine sounds perfect.

This tells me that richening the mixture is helping the car idle. Which means it's running too lean. But the idle speed and idle mixture screws aren't working enough, only cutting off the air feed does the trick. Also, before I rebuilt the Edelbrock the second time (on Wednesday), the car was running better than after. When I took apart the carb on Wednesday, I found that a metering rod was bent so it wasn't metering the fuel feed at the jet. When I replaced the metering rod with a straight one, the car would no longer idle. Telling me that the A/F ratio wasn't good enough, until I installed the choke hardware, which cuts off the air supply a bit.

Where did you check for vacuum leaks? There are many places on the carb that can cause vacuum leaks (unplugged port, bad carb-to-man. gasket, throttle shaft bushing, etc.) as well as in the carb; are you absolutely sure you put the carb back together correctly?

I have used a can of "starting fluid" to find small leaks before. Get the car running and spray the stuff around the base of the carb, throttle plates, spacers, and intake at any ports/plugs or whatever... The idle will jump up a bit when you hit the spot with the leak as it gets sucked into the system...

Goodluck...

JOE

Have you disabled all of the vacuum lines going in? Have you seen if you have the step up springs in there? Have you blown air thru the idle mixture passages?

Also take a piece of fuel hose, and put one end to your ear, and the other feel around with it and listen for anything that sounds like a vacuum leak.

-
Back