"I'm getting out of MoPar" threads.........

-
I may be only 19 but I bleed hemi orange thru and thru I drive a 1996 dodge truck that I love more than anything besides my old dart (rip) and my new baby girl As well as my drag quad. Around where I live it's all about lifted trucks and mudding but I never beat my truck I cruise it its a stick shift and I'd never ever get rid of any of these girls I have put my heat and soul into these machines I really can't picture not having any of these machines in the driveway or garage and if money get tight I'd rather sell the furniture than sell any of them
The drag quad was the first of the hot rods I bought and its been through a lot with me it's been thrashed at the tracks for 3 years and it doesn't ever get old dumping the clutch at 10,000 rpm and going 13's
The pickup has been in the family since new and I was almost a year old when we brought her home she is a v10 five speed ram 2500

For some the hobby is just fun and games they wouldn't give it a second thought if they sold their car then there's the ones who may regret it but go out and get another one

Then there is those like me who would cry themselves to sleep at night cause they felt like they sold their child. I have been offered lots for the dart but unless I'm dead she ain't ever leaving me

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Attachments

• photo_001.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 305
  • photo_002.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 308
  • photo_003.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 307
I may be only 19 but I bleed hemi orange thru and thru I drive a 1996 dodge truck that I love more than anything besides my old dart (rip) and my new baby girl As well as my drag quad. Around where I live it's all about lifted trucks and mudding but I never beat my truck I cruise it its a stick shift and I'd never ever get rid of any of these girls I have put my heat and soul into these machines I really can't picture not having any of these machines in the driveway or garage and if money get tight I'd rather sell the furniture than sell any of them
The drag quad was the first of the hot rods I bought and its been through a lot with me it's been thrashed at the tracks for 3 years and it doesn't ever get old dumping the clutch at 10,000 rpm and going 13's
The pickup has been in the family since new and I was almost a year old when we brought her home she is a v10 five speed ram 2500

For some the hobby is just fun and games they wouldn't give it a second thought if they sold their car then there's the ones who may regret it but go out and get another one

Then there is those like me who would cry themselves to sleep at night cause they felt like they sold their child. I have been offered lots for the dart but unless I'm dead she ain't ever leaving me

My point again! LOL

you are only 19. lets see how you feel at 40 and if you still have all your girls.. a lot of things change over 20 years and people grow up and think differently as time goes by. only time will tell which direction you end up.. not that there is wrong either way...

I love my cars as well, however I'm not completely loyal to just one brand. In the past few years I've had a W31 Cutlass a b-body Dodge and a 1926 Chevrolet all at the same time. Grew tired of them and have now moved on to an a-body Plymouth. In the end, these are just cars. Family and friends come first.

Yes many things change over time,I always loved Mopars but didnt always have one,a couple kids,a divorce or 2 or 3,lose your job,bills out the yahoo in debt,child support..well you get it....your priorities can change real quik but thats just life....but I got it together in my 30's and got back into the path of Mopar rightousness and had the honor to have several in past 20+ yrs...it's been a fun ride,now it's down to me and the dart as far as projects go,everything I own is Mopar...and I thank God my wife is a Mopar lover she drives a mean *** ply breeze...lol...

If I told you how many different cars and bikes I've owned,
sold, flipped and junked you'd call me a liar.
Brand loyalty is a trap, I'm sure you would
have something different if you had big money.
I buy Craftsman tools these days but I prefer Snap On.
Getting older and life in general has mellowed my enthusiasm.

Sometimes less is more.

once you sell your car(s) its game over.
I disagree
I have had numerous mopars all my life , including a plum crazy 70 super bee, a 71 charger R/T , a 72 440 charger rallye , and many others , all of which I got rid of due to lifes circumstances. I have been in a position to pick it back up, and since then I have already had many since then. its never too late to get back in it.

and it does not take a lot of money

I had to sell my 3 chargers I had back in 2008 after suffering a major injury that caused me to be out of work for a few months. Granted, they were just drivers, but I pretty much had to give them away and take a huge loss on what I had paid due to the stock market crash and the Great Recession.

I think with the economy, the prices to restore these cars have gotten so high, the average Joe can no longer afford to build one. Heck, prices for junk cars have skyrocketed, in part to Barrett Jackson and other such shows making people think they all own a rare piece.

With that said, while I was not a Mopar muscle owner after 08(still had my w200 that will never go anywhere.), I still enjoyed the cars and I am happy to finally be back in the hobby.

The list of people who haven't kicked themselves in the *** for getting rid of their Mopars is pretty short. Unless they've immediately invested the money they got into another Mopar of equal or better value. Even then it's debatable that they don't have a whole lot of regrets.

maybe I have become too sentimental, my cousin has done a good job convincing me that cars of this type are more than just cars. You never hear of anyone reminiscing about their first toaster Yet everyone remembers their first car especially if it is a muscle car, either by birth or conversion.

I recently had a chance to buy another 72 swinger in better shape than my existing one, but declined because it is not my old car and I am staying on the resto of my old car.

you are only 19. lets see how you feel at 40 and if you still have all your girls.. a lot of things change over 20 years and people grow up and think differently as time goes by. only time will tell which direction you end up.. not that there is wrong either way...

My family has always been a Mopar family my grandfather owned the largest Chrysler dodge Plymouth dealership in the northwest during the 60 and 70's and my dad has had the same truck since he was 18 and he is 52 now. The truck I literally grew up with the dart I've always wanted one so as long as I can I'm going to keep them

thats all well and good. but like i said time will tell..

there is no right or wrong way. everyone is different and there is nothing wrong with either direction. its easy to say things at 19 and quite a different thing for it to be true 20 years down the road is all i'm saying.

there is only one thing that has followed my wife and I for the past 35 years.
that is my 67 fastback Iv'e had since I was 15. we have been broke. raised 3 kids and faced medical problems and career changes. now her and I are building the car for our second childhood. lol we had some goodtimes in my car, she even learned how to drive in the CUDA, as she calls it. even if I wanted to get rid of it, I think she would divorce me.

My first car was a metallic blue white top 76 cordoba. It was a land yacht but had every option and drove like a dream. I still wish I had it back sometimes...My cousin brought home a 69 fastback barracuda when we were 15 and I thought it was the ugliest thing I had ever seen but within about three months I had to have one! I've had 3 67's and 2 68's over the years and after selling it all a few years back claiming to be done with cars, I bought my current 67 and have found out it's in my blood forever! I'm 42 now and have bad knees and shoulders and have had multiple surgeries including L5-S1 fusion on my back. Hell all my parts are bad these days but as long as my hand will grip a wrench I'll be unleashing it on something, good or bad. I have no doubts I'll still me wrenching on my old mopar the day I die and wouldn't have it any other way. I hope they bury me with a wrench in my pocket so I can fix the old mopars on the other side cause I know they will be there:)

I'm prob going with a GM product after I get all my cars sold. And it is not because I don't love my mopars, cause I do. But the aftermarket for our loved Mopars is getting ridiculous! The prices of normal pieces are getting way out of wack, and I blame the times of the "car investor". People who are buying the classic car in order to only make a profit, not because they have a love for driving or building them.

The LS or ford platforms are so much more cost effective now. It would cost you thousands to just MOUNT a modern hemi into a-body when installing a Ls1 platform into say a G body would only cost $350 for mounts and crossmember. Price gouging for the mopar aftermarket is very apparent, and it is only going to get worse.

Rolling Cuda's costing $10k for a PILE OF JUNK needing full quarters, fenders, floor boards, full interior pieces. That's why people are leaving the classic mopar scene, cause it now cost $15k-20k to build a decent driver.

This. I've always liked Mopars but the aftermarket, especially for early A Bodies, is dismal when compared to Fords and Chevies. It does make you have to be creative, frugal, and patient which I can appreciate in the long run.

I have two former neighbors that liked my car and went out and got beaters (a mustang and a nova) and within a year had basically pieced together new cars from Jegs and Summit and Year One for probably cheaper than what I have in my car.............and with that extra time and money they went out and bought a "car guy" wardrobe and douchey hot rod tattoos. I'm by no stretch a stellar mechanic but those guys didn't know dick about anything at all. If it didn't bolt-on with their 12-piece craftsman socket and screwdriver set they sent it to get done.

So maybe being into Mopars is a good thing.

But yeah, I can see why people get frustrated with Mopars.

LOL 19 was not that long ago for me , I said the same thing . 5 MOPARS later there all gone and im driving a 95 buick . Life gets in the way famliy comes 1st . Ive givin up ever getting auther one i can drive .

What's the deal when these threads that pop up from time-to-time? Seen a few lately, I don't get it...is it a money thing? Tired of the old car hobby or Mopar in general...why? Heart not in it? Money? Flipper? If you are sick of it, then why not just jump ship and go? I'm not ripping the members without car's who are looking or struggling to find the right car, or lack of funds...I have a deep passion for these cars......and would NEVER jump ship...and I like all old old cars but LOVE and am passionate about Mopars and couldn't imagine ever going another way....EVER.....just seeing what you all think...:glasses7:

BTW...I'm not talking about this new car garbage....Buttstains, Crapmaros or Challys.....just vintage iron.......
for every a body you see on the road you see 500 buttstains, crapmaros,challengers,people have evolved.they no more want to drive junk now than they did in 68&69 I will never abandon mopar but maybe the forums

I have owned a few Mopars over the years. Mostly when I was younger. I had a 70 Duster (Slant 6) and a 69 Coronet 500 ( 318 Auto) I finally settled on my 70 Dart Swinger 340. Funny thing is, I bought it for the motor to direct swap into the Coronet LOL! It was a basket case, towed it home in July 1993. Glad I wised up and realized what it was. The Coronet ended up going bye bye. I got the Dart on the road and drove it for about 4 years in Primer. I bought it right around when my son was born so as you can imagine funds were tight, I can remember busting my a** paying bills saving for one little part to keep the project going. I didn't get it on the road untill 2002 almost 10 years after I bought it. It was worth it. That car is the most fun car to drive and it sounds awesome. I would get comments everywhere I went about that car and it was in primer! Mostly old timers who knew what the 340 badges were on the scoops. I decided to do the paint and body in 2006, put a year and a half into it then deployed overseas in 2007. The car still isn't back together, but it will be. I have it in storage and am finishing the garage I had to build at my house in order to finish assembly and prep for paint. I guess in my case I drove my car and had a sh*t eating grin the whole time and want that feeling back no matter how long it takes. I don't even care how much it costs, I had to build a garage! The car has been with me for a long time and the good thing is, at this point I have most of the hard parts to put it back together, its all paint and finishing the interior etc. Ya goatta love your Mopar! ( But it is taking a while damn! its inconvenient when life/work gets in the way!)

I have recently just purchased my first mopar (search Green Goblin on here) and it took me about 8months to find the right one. It was getting very frustrating haveing people tell me that $14,000 is great price for a car that is hacked up and rusty. Fortunately I found mine very reasonably priced, hell I didn't even haggle the price because he was very fair. I told my GF to look for my Dart at car shows while I was being deployed and she said if I wanted a Chevy or ford, I could buy three for the price of one mopar. I do see why people jump ship especially my generation (I am 26), especially in regards to the aftermarket support. Most guys in their 20s who buys a mopar and wants to casually work on it on the weekends, dont make make much money because they are going through school, etc. it's hard to buy something for our cars and fork over 2x more for one part because it's for a mopar where as a Chevy or Ford, that same amount of money could buy you all brand new interior. I wish our aftermarket was as large and as reasonable as Chevy or Ford. This is also why I plan on taking the hot rod approach and make it's custom to me or make parts fit from another car.

mopar folks as a whole, have always been " creative" in finding parts, working on their cars, etc. due to necessity. lack of aftermarket parts, high cost of resto parts, lack on interchange from one model to another ETC. it can take longer and DOES cost more than the GM or Ford no doubt. we all know that.
for some unknown reason, we moparites tend to share certain traits: we don't take the easy way out, we tend to be collectors ( never seen one we didn't want or a spare part we didn't need?), we tend to realize putting that mopar on the road can take time but that is our path, we like to be different, we like bright colors, odd body styles, big oversized value covers, 6 bangers with this LONG intake, stroked small blocks , stoc 383's, we take pride in the history of the company but realize it never was no 1 is sales and never will be ( except maybe Ram)??,
we all know life can get in our way, and friends and family is no 1 for most but some have the tenacity to hang onto that old car thru it all. so I give that guy credit. and lets face it, that car means more to some than others and that's not bad. people are different, not wrong.
the car hobby is one we can drop in and out of. just don't sell of ya tools!! LOL

im gonna keep trying, if you guys keep trying.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=putWJCj0eoI"]Keep Rocking and Rolling - YouTube[/ame]

-
Back