I'm pissed- attempted break in at my house

-

4fortyDemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm 15 miles from home at my shop, my wife and 3 kids leave for school related things today. I get a call from the police in my town informing me that 3 hispanics (yeah- I know- it could be anyone ) tried to break in with a baseball bat to my back door. Fortunately, I have an old 1926 home with solid wood doors- but the door is wasted- It held but it was ready to go in a couple more hits. The neighbor kid saw the strange vehicle in front of my house (IN BROAD DAYLIGHT NO LESS!!) and heard this banging- he yelled at them and they too off. I then am told that another attempted break in was done not long after me in the same area. Unfortunately, they weren't apprehended. I have to replace the door now - am VERY thankful that that's ALL that I have to. I figure that it's time to move.
I live in a 80% hispanic town. Alot of gang activity and big drug busts. NO, I don't hate them anymore than I hate white black yellow green or what ever if you F with my stuff. I know- I'm pissed and ranting....
Very lucky that they didn't try it when I was home- I would have alot of cleanup to do from my Glock.

Thanks for letting me rant!

very lucky that they never got in, I recommend replacing the door with a insulated metal door, or if it won't look right make sure another hardwood door is in order

WOW that is some scary stuff, and if you were there with your Glock there would be 2 1/2 guys.

To make you feel better how about a neighbor's story of an actual break in.

My neighbor wakes up to the sound of his back sliding door breaking. He goes downstairs to find an intruder in his home! So he does what any Police Officer does and arrests the guy right on the spot :D

If the burglar would have walked around the FRONT of the house he would have seen the police car parked in the driveway....

The neighbor went out to his squad car and I heard the call over the radio while I was working that night.

Now as for your door, make sure to replace it with another GOOD solid door. Too many house hold doors are made cheaply and could be broken through quite easily!

good thing it wasn't worse. if the neighbor kid scared them off i would consider throwing him beer (depending on age) or money for being a good neighbor.

I live in a neighborhood just like yours. been there at least 18 years. we have only had 2 incidents. We have also never had any alarm system.

the first one someone got the window open but the dog was there so they only grabbed what was rite next to the window. had it not been for the dog i am positive the house would have been trashed and looted.

the second incident someone tried to kick out our basement window, which is very very small, not sure how they were going to get in through it.

we have had plenty of stuff stolen out of the yard but nothing in the house. we always have at least one dog, it does wonders.

the other weekend someone was picking up a car from my house my father worked on. I was out back playing with the dog and out of the corner of my eye i saw someone coming up the driveway. I knew it was the guy, my dog was too busy playing she did not notice him. The guy took one look at the dog and SPRINTED out to the street! my dog never even looked at him! even if you don't have a vicious dog they really do a good job keeping thieves away.

Thanks guys . I do have another solid door that is an interior door- Looks just like the original but without any windows. The original is a 29" wide which is an odd size. I was considering a steel door or another solid wood door of my vintage. Right now all I have time to do is drill and "rebuild" the door with 1/2" fence that my other neighbor has lying around. Looks like my Saturday project in the works.
That is a very funny story Drache! Glad that that's all that happened to him too.
Sir Dan, I wish I could have a dog but the wife and daughter are really allergic.
really sucks that people have to just go and steal from others - and for what? Thrills?some drug money? gang intro? These guys won't be lucky sometime and they run into the wrong house- they will meet they're maker .

4fortydemon said:
I'm 15 miles from home at my shop, my wife and 3 kids leave for school related things today. I get a call from the police in my town informing me that 3 hispanics (yeah- I know- it could be anyone ) tried to break in with a baseball bat to my back door. Fortunately, I have an old 1926 home with solid wood doors- but the door is wasted- It held but it was ready to go in a couple more hits. The neighbor kid saw the strange vehicle in front of my house (IN BROAD DAYLIGHT NO LESS!!) and heard this banging- he yelled at them and they too off. I then am told that another attempted break in was done not long after me in the same area. Unfortunately, they weren't apprehended. I have to replace the door now - am VERY thankful that that's ALL that I have to. I figure that it's time to move.
I live in a 80% hispanic town. Alot of gang activity and big drug busts. NO, I don't hate them anymore than I hate white black yellow green or what ever if you F with my stuff. I know- I'm pissed and ranting....
Very lucky that they didn't try it when I was home- I would have alot of cleanup to do from my Glock.

Thanks for letting me rant!

I sell doors for a living (no I'm not trying to make a sale), but Actually you want a commercial grade "vertically stiffened" 16 guage steel door in a 16 gauge steel door frame that wraps around the exterior wall of your home.
Look for a door build By Ceco Door Company or by Steelcraft, or Amweld or Mesker. You can get them in 6 panel or other designs, and you can even get them to look like wood.

Further, use commercial (grade 2) locks. Use a lockable entry lockset, and a deadlock with a hardened bolt with a minimum of 1" throw.
Do not use Kwickset locks. Buy a quality lockset from Schlage or Sargent, and use "pinned" hinges. They have a security pin that engages when the door is closed.

You can find suppliers for this materials locally. Look in your yellow pages under "Doors", and make it known when you are contacting these people that you're looking for commercial grade materials, not residential stuff.
Commercial door materials is not sold like residential materials, either. You have to by the frame, and the door (separately), the locks, the hinges, threshold, weatherstrip, all separately. The door will run approximately $300-$350.00. The frame about $135.00, Hinges 4.5" x 4.5" Ball Bearing Pinned security hinges will be about $12.00 each. Commercial Grade 2 locksets will vary, and you might actually be able to get a better deal on line for them.

To buy a commercial door, you will need to know how thick the wall is, what the door size is (usually residential front doors are 3068 (meaning 3'0"x6'8" (36"x80") nominal measurement. You will also need to know what "hand" the door is (Left hand or Right hand). If you're standing inside your house looking at your door, (door swings in toward you to open) Hinges on the left, door knob on the right = Right hand.
Hinges on the right, door knob on the left = Left hand.

I you decide to upgrade to Commercial grade doors and hardware, PM me with any questions. Also, let me know how much you're paying for materials. I might be able to get some better pricing from one of my suppliers.

Thanks guys . I do have another solid door that is an interior door- Looks just like the original but without any windows. The original is a 29" wide which is an odd size. I was considering a steel door or another solid wood door of my vintage. Right now all I have time to do is drill and "rebuild" the door with 1/2" fence that my other neighbor has lying around. Looks like my Saturday project in the works.
That is a very funny story Drache! Glad that that's all that happened to him too.
Sir Dan, I wish I could have a dog but the wife and daughter are really allergic.
really sucks that people have to just go and steal from others - and for what? Thrills?some drug money? gang intro? These guys won't be lucky sometime and they run into the wrong house- they will meet they're maker .

I did 4 things to minimize break-ins... I moved, lol, I have two big dogs, an alarm and cameras! Fkn jerk offs, I hope they pay with.... (deleted), but you know what I mean. BTW, if I am home when they get in, I have logging chains, axes, lime, torches and a chimenea to burn off what the dogs can't digest. :-D Ah yes, the crying loser parents of their "good boy" that just dissapeared. My heart breaks for them.

If you go metal you can paint them to look like wood grain. My dad was a carpenter for 20 years and it looks amazing... glad your stuff didn't get stolen.

My sister lives in Portland. Works for KATU. Says that entire area looks more like Mexico than the USA. Blame the white trash that hire them. I own an alarm company if you need anything. FABO people get everything at cost. If you want some alarm stickers just PM me and I'll send you some for free.

I sell doors for a living (no I'm not trying to make a sale), but Actually you want a commercial grade "vertically stiffened" 16 guage steel door in a 16 gauge steel door frame that wraps around the exterior wall of your home.
Look for a door build By Ceco Door Company or by Steelcraft, or Amweld or Mesker. You can get them in 6 panel or other designs, and you can even get them to look like wood.

Further, use commercial (grade 2) locks. Use a lockable entry lockset, and a deadlock with a hardened bolt with a minimum of 1" throw.
Do not use Kwickset locks. Buy a quality lockset from Schlage or Sargent, and use "pinned" hinges. They have a security pin that engages when the door is closed.

You can find suppliers for this materials locally. Look in your yellow pages under "Doors", and make it known when you are contacting these people that you're looking for commercial grade materials, not residential stuff.
Commercial door materials is not sold like residential materials, either. You have to by the frame, and the door (separately), the locks, the hinges, threshold, weatherstrip, all separately. The door will run approximately $300-$350.00. The frame about $135.00, Hinges 4.5" x 4.5" Ball Bearing Pinned security hinges will be about $12.00 each. Commercial Grade 2 locksets will vary, and you might actually be able to get a better deal on line for them.

To buy a commercial door, you will need to know how thick the wall is, what the door size is (usually residential front doors are 3068 (meaning 3'0"x6'8" (36"x80") nominal measurement. You will also need to know what "hand" the door is (Left hand or Right hand). If you're standing inside your house looking at your door, (door swings in toward you to open) Hinges on the left, door knob on the right = Right hand.
Hinges on the right, door knob on the left = Left hand.

I you decide to upgrade to Commercial grade doors and hardware, PM me with any questions. Also, let me know how much you're paying for materials. I might be able to get some better pricing from one of my suppliers.

I changed all my deadbolts to Schlage commercial grade when I moved. HUGE bolt throw and took some modification but it worth it. Great advice Frankie.

A month ago my 69 year old Grandmother was broken into, beat up, tied up, robbed, and left to lay there for just over 16 hours before anyone found her.Thank God she is ok and they caught the little f-ers that did it... I'm sorry that it happend to you but I am glad you and your family were safe...

My sister lives in Portland. Works for KATU. Says that entire area looks more like Mexico than the USA. Blame the white trash that hire them. I own an alarm company if you need anything. FABO people get everything at cost. If you want some alarm stickers just PM me and I'll send you some for free.

You rock! I'll be in touch soon about a buttload of sensors for the new place, N/C and I use resistors (I'll be needing more of those too), some wired, some wireless.

IIRC, you also offer monitoring? I just want everyone to know how reasonable it really is... :)

A month ago my 69 year old Grandmother was broken into, beat up, tied up, robbed, and left to lay there for just over 16 hours before anyone found her.Thank God she is ok and they caught the little f-ers that did it... I'm sorry that it happend to you but I am glad you and your family were safe...

Oh man.... I can't imagine how you feel. I'm so sorry....

You guys are great! Thanks Frankie for the good advise on the doors- I will look into the commercial grade. Doesn't sound as expensive as having all my stuff taken. Cali Dart- Thank you for info on alarm- may have to take you up on the decals. I have a good friend that is a cameraman for KATU- maybe your sister know him. Paul Stoos.
I really do need to figure out a present/reward for this kid- he's about 16. Me and his family used to talk quite a bit when his mom was married to his dad. Kinda weird now with a new guy and with the kids growing up, they don't speak as much to us (the teen thing I guess). Anyway- He still deserves some thing- if anything CASH is always king.

Oh Man, I'm really sorry to hear this. Here I am whining about a door. Glad to hear that they were caught. I would be in jail over that.

get yourself a German Sheppard they are great protectors and won't panic / most don't even bark especially with the kids he will take care of business when you can't

How about just talking to him and slipping him a couple sawbucks? Ask if he's interested in cars and go from there. He sounds like a winner and needs to be treated as so...

I hear they sell security camera setups pretty reasonably priced now. then you can record the break in and have evidence for the police to prosecute them.

I learned alot from the door guys that posted. I would follow their advice.

I have a Dalmatian who is a great watch dog. He will bite everyone but me (including my kids sometimes). I know that he won't let anyone in when I'm not around. He also will bark at them when they make noise at my front door. He knows that he has a good home and will do anything to make sure he keeps it.

Ramcharger,
We used to talk quite a bit about 5 years ago. His younger brother used to come and play at our house. Unfortunately things change and kids grow up and divorces happen- Their dad had a 73 340 FE5 Cuda and I always had alot of mopars in the driveway- so we always hung out.

I plan on throwing him a 50 spot and seeing if he may need some work done on his pickup truck.

Ramcharger,
We used to talk quite a bit about 5 years ago. His younger brother used to come and play at our house. Unfortunately things change and kids grow up and divorces happen- Their dad had a 73 340 FE5 Cuda and I always had alot of mopars in the driveway- so we always hung out.

I plan on throwing him a 50 spot and seeing if he may need some work done on his pickup truck.

Better yet, teach him to work on his own truck.. :) Sorry to hear about the changes though, seems like a great kid. A 50 spot will go a long way for fuel for him. I'm hoping he's got a Dodge, lol.

-
Back