imagine spending $2,800 for one header....

-

jjj0923

Reaction score
try owning a high performance boat.

yes, one header is $2,800 and I have two engines on my boat.

four years ago I bought four new headers for my boat and they cost me over $10,000

this past season one of the headers started to discolor on what is known to be the hottest spot on the header. I contacted the company that I purchased the headers from and they told me it was because I had overheated the header in the past - I argued the point because I had never over heated the header. all of my other header are fine and the problem was a manufacturing defect.

I was going to send the header back during the summer when I was using the boat, but one of their distributors warned me against this because he told me that in spite of their promise to fix it in one week, it would take them several weeks. I am glad I waited, because I sent it back to them 5 weeks ago and just got it back last week.

They were supposed to put the header in a jig to make sure they replaced the collector portion of the header properly - well it turns out, that was not done.

I bothered the hell out of them to get it done because I needed to winterize my engines and could not do that until I had the header back.

so I put the header back on the boat (after paying these bozo's $1,290) to get it back because they held the header hostage until I paid.

After putting it back on I found out the repaired it wrong and it no longer lines up properly with the angular tail pipe it has to connect to. this discovery on saturday nearly brought me to tears due to my frustration.

I am doing my absolute best to not lose it with these people and go ballistic because they're the only people in the country who can actually do the repair. Now I have to head back to fedex today and sent the header back to the midwest where it was built and wait for them to do it right.

I've also had to spend the balance of my weekend combing the area to find indoor heater storage for a 43' boat at a price of $400/month to store the boat because I cannot let the engines freeze. Of course I had to sign a 4 month storage contract at a price of $1,600 to add insult to injury.

I had a great weekend - not

what do you do when you're so mad you want to punch someone in the mouth that you know you can't punch. I know what i'm going to do when this is done; Retain an attorney.

I'm sorry for the venting.....

Hay man Venting is good !!:thumbrig:
I can see where this is a big pain and costly experience for ya.
And it sounds like an expensive boat you are taking car of.
It would be hard for me to put this behind me too.
So I think venting will help and I do not mind it at all.
Just think if tomorrow don't come, would your anger be worth the time you have left. God forbid but we don't know.
Hopefully they will see what you had to go though and take care of you.

I will have a cold one for you and hope for the best.:drinkers:

CMI's? Big tube or 525's? I too have a boat and it is stuff like this that makes me want to get out of boating all together. I bought two sets of headers and tailpipes last year and had fitment problems. Mine are CMI's and since I've bought them, I've heard tons of stories about them leaking and hydraulicing engines. Knock on wood, mine are holding up fine. I do only boat in fresh water though.

My dad once told me that a boat is a hole in water you throw your money into. :pirat: Sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope everything works out to your satisfaction. :smile:

Nice duc in your avatar BTW.

My dad gave me this boat so I can continue enjoying it before he past away.
Just a new water pump ,tune up and a new marine battery and I am ready to go. Just a fishing boat!! But it douse get me on the water.
Something tell me your boat jjj0923 will get across a lake in record time.
Do you have a picture of your boat that has headers on it.
I do agree with ramcharger, I have a friend that has more money in his big fun boat that is hard to fish out of but plenty of room for the babes,
I don't know what kind it is but it shure gets allot of gas put in it for a day on the water at 55 mph. Fun and scary to me.
Hope your header comes back with no charge ticket tied to it.

boat7.jpg

boat8.jpg

I do agree with ramcharger, I have a friend that has more money in his big fun boat that is hard to fish out of but plenty of room for the babes,
I don't know what kind it is but it shure gets allot of gas put in it for a day on the water at 55 mph.
Hope your header comes back with no charge ticket tied to it.

Yep, my dad's fishing boats never really cost that much, just the usual stuff, like what you have done to yours Mike. It was his fun boat that got expensive.

Put "marine" or "RV" on anything and it will almost always cost 10 times the money of an automotive part.

Chuck

Ever see what an "FAA Approved" sticker will do to the price of a squareback Mopar alternator of Ford starter solenoid?

Ah yes, I forgot about the aviation stuff, that stuff wins hands down in the expensive catagory.
Chuck

The header company is being very cooperative - to their credit. It's not CMI for what it's worth.

I never bash any company publicly, no good comes of it, especially when I should be just picking up the phone and relaying my disappointment to the company and doing my best to put the person on the other end of the line in my shoes and getting them to see the situation from my point of view and being "somewhat" receptive to theirs.

I do not believe that any company wants to disappoint their customers because customers pay the bills. I do believe that you can't keep your eye on every employee all the time and it's employees that fail and that's because the mentality of quality and quality service to the customer gets lost along the way somewhere and then it's up to management to fix it.

things are progressing and I'm feeling better and thanks for the opportunity to vent.

-
Back